Brando Tessar. The Simi Valley, Calif., native pitched a complete-game shutout, surrendering only four hits, striking out six, and walking two batters en route to a 4-0 win against the University of Connecticut.EUGENE, Ore. – Oregon finished off a great weekend of baseball thanks to the golden arm of sophomore right-hander
No. 17 Oregon (12-3) led 2-0 after scoring in the first and third innings, and then added two insurance runs in the ninth as the Ducks now prepare for Pac-12 Conference play.
Oregon dominated all aspects of the game, as Tessar held the Huskies hitless from the second through eighth inning, and needed only seven pitches to finish the Huskies in the bottom of the fifth.
After surrendering three hits in the first inning but getting out of the bases-loaded jam unscathed, Tessar faced just one batter over the minimum the rest of the way.
With the win, he improves to 3-0 on the year, lowering his ERA to 3.55 Tessar’s complete game is the first of hi career, and the second of the weekend for the Ducks as Jeff Gold threw an eight-inning complete game in a 12-0 victory over West Virginia on Saturday.
Anthony Marzi (0-3) also pitched a complete game for UConn, but gave up nine hits and four runs (two of which were earned). The Huskies fall to 6-8 on the year.
Oregon was offensively led by J.J. Altobelli’s 2-for-4 effort, along with first-time starter Vernell Warren also batting 2-for-4 with a run scored and first career double.
Ryon Healy and Kyle Garlick each drove in runs for Oregon as Garlick’s groundout scored Aaron Payne in the first, and Altobelli scored in the third on a Healy groundout.
The Ducks were given a boost of power off the bench from Daniel Pardini, as he hit a pinch-hit, solo homer run – the first of his career - over the left field fence in the top of the ninth.
Oregon finishes the Nike College Showcase 2-2 as the Ducks enter conference play on Friday at Washington.
Tessar Closes Showcase with Shutout
Release Date: 03/11/2012
Highlights: Baseball vs. ConnecticutPLAY VIDEO
- Brett Hambright Interview After Connecticut
- Baseball vs. Connecticut
- Brando Tessar Interview After Connecticut
- Head Coach George Horton post Connecticut
- Condensed Game: Baseball vs. Connecticut
- HD: Baseball vs. Connecticut
- Alumni Return To Face Ducks
- Alumni Game Evolving Into Showcase
- Baseball Recruiting Class Cracks Top-10
- McGough Becomes First Duck Of New Era To Reach The Show
- Irvin Opts Not To Sign, Will Return To Ducks For 2016
- Notes: San Jose State Visits Monday
- 5-0 Ducks Host 5-0 Fresno Monday
- Alleyne’s Double-Double Paces Ducks
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks