Monday Practice Notes, Team Players of the Week
Monday, September 8, 11:30 p.m.
A typical Monday during football season is busy day, but for whatever reason this one flew by faster than usual. I have a feeling the entire week may end up like this, trying to get everything ready from our end for this week's ABC televised game at Purdue.
The week's first practice felt a bit like Fall Camp in that the sun was beating down and the temperature was north of 80 degrees. The players didn't seem to mind the warm conditions as it was a condensed 1 hour 25 minute workout - the norm for Mondays during gameweek.
A Few Practice Notes
- Jeremiah Johnson (shoulder) was cleared for non-contact duty, but missed practice altogether due to a family situation. He is still considered probable for Saturday's game.
- Not that LeGarrette Blount has looked pedestrian in practice lately, but it was clear to this observer that he was energized by his 132-yard, 2 TD performance against Utah State and had an extra bounce in his step.
- Jamere Holland pulled on his former No. 18 practice jersey toward the end of the session and seemed genuinely happy to have his old digits on. Holland was switched from 18 to 19 during Fall Camp as cornerback Anthony Gildon also wears No. 18 and there could have been an issue of both players appeared on the same special teams units.
- Jeff Maehl made a ridiculous one-handed grab on a ball slightly overthrown down the left sideline during receiver drills. While talking with Jeremiah Masoli after practice, he informed me that Maehl is also an incredible basketball player who can routinely knock down jumpers from midcourt.
- Practice was out on the grass fields, which is not unusual for a Monday but noteworthy in that the game against the Boilermakers will be played on grass.
- Chris Harper is fast.
The Ducks broke their two-game losing streak in yellow helmets last Saturday. What will they wear against Purdue?
Team Players of the Week
The Oregon coaches doled out their weekly awards and recognition on Monday for the 66-24 win over Utah State.
blog comments powered by Disqus
Offense: Mark Lewis, Ed Dickson (6 rec, 70 yds) and LeGarrette Blount (18 rush, 132 yds, 2 TD)
Defense: Spencer Paysinger (4 UA, 3 A, 7 TT)
Special Teams: Matt Evensen (Top points, tied record with 9 PATs, 6 TB on kickoffs)
Scout Team Honors
Offense: Darron Thomas
Defense: Brian Butterfield
Special Teams: Remene Alston
Eddie Pleasant (KO)
Willie Glasper (KO)