Walk On Up
Friday, September 26, 11:00 a.m. PT
At the conclusion of Thursday's practice, Coach Bellotti announced that he needed to speak with four individuals before they headed back to the locker room: Rory Cavaille, Matt Larkin, Riley Showalter and Jon Teague. I thought this to be a somewhat curious grouping, other than the fact that the quartet was made up of non-scholarship guys.
Well, they were walk-ons as they headed over to meet with their head coach, but after breaking the huddle, the four key contributors exited Autzen Stadium as scholarship athletes. I'm guessing it was a pretty cool moment for the players and also for coach to be able to reward their effort and dedication in such a significant way.
JR LB Riley Showalter is one of four former walk-ons now on scholarship for the Ducks.
Thursday Practice Notes
- After practicing in full pads on Tuesday and Wednesday, the Ducks were in shells - typical for a Thursday.
- Walter Thurmond III (groin) saw his most extended action with the first string defense in over a week.
- Despite continued improvement in his mobility this week, Justin Roper did not practice and will not make this week's travel squad as a result.
- Darron Thomas, who was involved in an automobile accident on Wednesday night, showed no ill effects of the bruised right elbow he suffered in the crash.
- Eddie Pleasant and Jamere Holland, also involved in the auto incident, each suffered minor injuries that will prevent them from playing this weekend.
- The Ducks were reminded on a daily basis this week of their last visit to Pullman, when they turned the ball over four times on their first eight possessions and lost 34-23.
Our Own Private Idaho
Our travel party will charter to Lewiston, Idaho late this aftertoon in advance of tomorrow's showdown at Martin Stadium. The Ducks will bus from there to the team hotel in Moscow and remain in the land of spuds until heading to the game on Saturday afternoon.
Now, for tomorrow's official weather forecast from American Meteorological Society President (Oregon chapter) Bobby Corser:
Oregon has seen almost every kind of weather when playing in Pullman. This time
around, the only thing they will see is the sun and some high clouds. Kickoff
will bring temps in the low 70's and a light wind. As the game goes forward,
the temperature will drop a few degrees, but it will be a beautiful day for a
college football game and a Duck victory!