PORTLAND, Ore. - The Oregon men's tennis team improved to 2-1 on the young season with a 4-3 victory at Portland on Saturday evening.
Oregon won the doubles point with a pair of match victories, including an 8-0 trouncing by Jose' Izquierdo and Aaron Clissold at No. 3 doubles.
Singles was tighter as Oregon needed Duncan MacDonald-Korth's No. 6 win over Jackson Martin to ice the 4-3 win. Portland's tennis facility has just three courts so the match lasted more than five hours.
"I am very pleased with doubles play once again, great energy there," said head coach Nils Schyllander. "I'm very proud of the guys' fight but we did leave some opportunities out there to close out matches. We need to finish better."
The Ducks will return home next weekend to play Idaho, Portland State and Seattle at the Student Tennis Center next weekend.
Oregon 4, Portland 3
January 30, 2010 - Portland, Ore.
1. Schleining/Zivkovic (UP) def. Cornelissen/Verdasco (UO) 8-6
2. Mortera/Bjerke (UO) def. Martin/Coelho (UP) 8-3
3. Izquierdo/Clissold (UO) def. Hernandez/Pigou (UP) 8-0
Order: 3, 2, 1
1. Filip Zivkovic (UP) def. Marcos Verdasco (UO) 7-6, 7-6
2. Alexander Cornelissen (UO) def. Bryan Thorp (UP) 6-4, 6-1
3. Ric Mortera (UO) def. Geoff Hernandez (UP) 6-2, 6-4
4. Evan Schleining (UP) def. Nico Bjerke (UO) 7-5, 1-6, 7-5
5. Daniel Coelho (UP) def. Aaron Clissold (UO) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
6. Duncan MacDonald-Korth (UO) def. Jackson Martin (UP) 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
Order: 2, 3, 1, 4, 6, 5