Casey Matthews was named one of four finalists for the Lott IMPACT Trophy, the Pacific Club IMPACT Foundation announced Friday.NEWPORT BEACH, Calif. – University of Oregon linebacker
The senior from Agoura Hills, Calif., will be joined by fellow candidates Sam Acho of Texas, Patrick Peterson of LSU and J.J. Watt of Wisconsin, when the seventh annual award is presented at a banquet Dec. 12 in Newport Beach. The event will be broadcast live on FOX Sports.
Matthews, a three-year starter for the No. 1 Ducks at middle linebacker, entered the weekend ranked fifth in the nation and the Pac-10 co-leader with three fumble recoveries. He leads the team with 68 tackles and is third on the squad with a career-high three interceptions.
IMPACT is an acronym for integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community and tenacity. The finalists were selected by a panel of more than 225 voters that is made up of former college coaches, past winners and finalists, former college and professional players and select members of the media.
Matthews is the first Oregon player to be named a finalist for the award. Former defensive end Nick Reed made it to the semifinal round in 2008.
Matthews Named Finalist for Lott Trophy
Release Date: 11/27/2010
- Ducks Reward Helfrich with a Five-Year Contract Extension
- QB Adams Signs Paperwork with Ducks
- At Oregon, Signing Day Goes Beyond A List of New Recruits To The Football Team
- 2014 Season Review: Special Teams
- 2014 Season Review: Defensive backs
- Cougars Are First Postseason Hurdle As Ducks Open Pac-12 Tournament
- Alleyne, Bando Earn Media Honors
- UO hosts St. John's at PK Park
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks