Walker's Pace: Free Webcast, Huckleberry!
Thursday, May 5, 2011
GoDucks.com is offering a special free webcast for Friday's Twilight Meet on the O-Zone. Normally, viewers need a subscription to the O-Zone to watch live events, but Friday's exciting meet can be seen online free of charge.
And in addition to the action on the track, including an exciting distance medley relay between Oregon and the Oregon Track Club Elite, this year's Twilight meet will also feature an extraordinary number of additional attractions. Among them:
- Senior Ceremony; The Ducks will pay tribute to a remarkable group of 20 seniors who have brought Oregon's programs back to national prominence by winning Pac-10 and NCAA championships and earning dozens of All-America awards.
- Track and field alumni reunion; more than 100 alums are expected to attend.
- The Twilight meet's tradition of reaching out to the younger generation of fans continues with the kids' half-lapper and middle school miles.
- Greek Relays. Eight fraternities and five sororities will vie for the title of fastest house on campus in 4x100 meter relays.
- And last, but certainly not least, actor Sam Elliott will be on hand in person to introduce a new documentary about Bill Bowerman, titled "Builderman" that will be shown publicly for the first time Friday night. Elliott, a Brownsville, Ore., resident famous for his big screen roles in Tombstome and The Big Lebowski , brings his distinctive voice as the narrator for the new film.
Elliott acted in two of the biggest "cult films" in recent history, The Big Lebowski and Tombstone . In a photo finish, the 'Pace - thanks mainly to Val Kilmer's unforgettable turn as antihero Doc Holliday - is going to go with Tombstone, one of the most underrated Westerns ever made.
Begin film class 101.
Based loosely on real-life lawmen Wyatt, Morgan and Virgil Earp and the famed "Shootout at the OK Corral," Tombstone assembled one of the greatest ensemble casts in movie history.
In addition to Elliott (Virgil Earp) and Kilmer, the main players were Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp), Bill Paxton (Morgan Earp) and Dana Delaney (Josephine Marcus).
The supporting cast included Jason Priestly (yes, that's 90210 Priestly), Powers Boothe and Michael Biehn of Terminator fame (also unforgettable and Doc Holliday's foil Johnny Ringo), not to mention future movie and television stars like Oscar winner Billy Bob Thornton (Slingblade and a boatload of other hits), Academy Award nominee Thomas Hayden Church (Sideways , Spiderman 3 , Wings ), Billy Zane (Titanic ), Terry O'Quinn (Lost ), John Corbett (Northern Exposure , Sex & the City ) and Jon Tenney (The Closer ), among others.
And the 'Pace would be remiss not to mention the cameo by Oscar winner and Western film legend Charlton Heston and that the narrator was tough guy Robert Mitchum.
No disrespect to Lebowski fans - the dude abides - but the 'Pace can imagine A.J. Acosta or Matthew Centrowitz doing a Doc Holliday "I'm your huckleberry" sizing up of Andrew Wheating or Tyler Mulder (or vice-versa) come the anchor leg of that exciting Distance Medley Relay on Friday night.