EUGENE, Ore. - The No. 69 ranked University of Oregon men's tennis team improved to 6-0 by defeating Seattle University in dominant fashion in the first match of their Friday (Feb. 17) doubleheader. The Ducks will take to the courts at 5 p.m. against the University of Eastern Washington at the Student Tennis Center.
The Ducks won 7-0 behind the leadership of No. 1 singles player Alex Rovello. No. 122 Rovello cruised past Seattle's Mark Shkrebtan, 6-0, 6-0 only conceding one unforced error. Rovello teamed with sophomore Robin Cambier in doubles for the first time this spring. The duo combined to defeat Seattle's Shkrebtan and Simon Meske 8-5 at No. 1 doubles.
In a dual that saw eight different Oregon men take the court, the Ducks showcased their depth and athleticism at every position. Redshirt freshman Sam Bush made his 2012 spring debut winning at No. 6 singles 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-2) over Seattle's Kyle Rapp. Also making his spring singles dual debut was redshirt senior Douglas Mayeda. The Monument, Colo. native made quick work of Seattle's Jason Bediones, 6-0, 6-2.
The men take to the courts later today against the EWU (5-2) at 5 p.m. EWU rides a five-match winning streak having previously defeated Seattle University 4-0 on Feb. 4. The Ducks encourage fans to head over to the Student Tennis Center for some great live tennis action. Admission is free and we will be operating the live blog as always from GoDucks.com.
No. 69 Oregon 7-0 Seattle U
1) No. 122 Alex Rovello (UO) def. Mark Shkrebtan (SU) 6-0, 6-0
2) Robin Cambier (UO) def. Kevin Lynch (SU) 6-2, 6-2
3) Jose Izquierdo (UO) def. Simon Meske (SU) 6-2, 6-2, 1-0 (10)
4) Sho Higuchi (UO) def. Flavio Malagutti (SU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-0 (10-3)
5) Douglas Mayeda (UO) def. Jason Bediones (SU) 6-0, 6-2
6) Sam Bush (UO) def. Kyle Rapp (SU) 6-1, 3-6, 1-0 (10-2)
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 2*, 3, 6, 4
1) Rovello/Cambier (UO) def. Shkrebtan/Meske (SU) 8-5
2) Sardu/Clissold (UO) def. Lynch/Bediones (SU) 8-6
3) Higuchi/Mayeda (UO) def. Rapp/Malagutti (SU) 8-1
Order of Finish: 3, 2*, 1
*indicates clinching match