The win moves the Ducks to 12-1 and drops the Dons to 2-9.
"It's a really solid road win in our first road match of the year," remarked men's head coach Nils Schyllander. "We can go out and play really loose against a very solid Fresno State team tomorrow (Mar. 18)."
The Ducks pulled off the victory in dramatic fashion rallying from down 1-3 to win the dual 4-3. After sweeping the opening doubles matches and garnering the doubles point, the Oregon men rallied to win three three-set matches to pull off the improbably comeback victory. Capping the Oregon victory was sophomore Alex Rovello at No. 1 singles. The Portland, Ore. native rallied to defeat No. 124 ranked Thai Tu in three sets to clinch the dual 4-6, 6-3, 7-5.
Oregon received crucial singles victories from sophomore Robin Cambier and true freshman Daniel Sardu. Cambier, playing at No. 3 singles, continued his remarkable start to the season by defeating William Schumacher 6-3, 6-7 (10-8), 6-3 to extend his spring singles record to 13-0. Sardu was able to knock off San Francisco's Bernardo Saraiva 6-1, 5-7, 6-1 allowing Rovello to step up in crunch time.
"Alex did a fantastic job under pressure to pull out the win for the Ducks," said coach Schyllander. "Having won all three three-setters, I feel our conditioning has really paid off."
Oregon will travel south to Fresno, Calif. to face the No. 19 ranked Bulldogs of Fresno State University for the last dual of their road trip on Sunday (Mar. 18) at 11 a.m.
The Bulldogs (11-1) are led by senior Remi Boutillier and sophomore Francis Alcantara. Together, the No. 22 ranked Boutillier and No. 58 ranked Alcantara are 19-1 at No. 1 and 2 singles this spring entering the dual with the Ducks.
Follow the Ducks all year long at GoDucks.com for the latest news, notes, stats, rankings and updates.
1) Alex Rovello (UO) def. No.124 Thai Tu (USF) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
2) Germain Bahri (USF) def. Jeff Mullen (UO) 6-1, 6-2
3) Robin Cambier (UO) def. William Schumacher (USF) 6-3, 6-7 (10-8), 6-3
4) Daniel Sardu (UO) def. Bernardo Saraiva (USF) 6-1, 5-7, 6-1
5) Richard Bucalem (USF) def. Jose Izquierdo (UO) 6-4, 7-5
6) Jacob Hartwig (USF) def. Aaron Clissold (UO) 7-5, 7-6 (7-2)
Order of Finish: 2, 5, 3, 4, 6, 1*
1) Mullen/Cambier (UO) def. Knowlman/Schumacher (USF) 8-3
2) Rovello/Izquierdo (UO) def. Bucalem/Saraiva (USF) 8-4
3) Sardu/Clissold (UO) def. Hartwig/Bahri (USF) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3*, 2