Jeff Gold shut out San Francisco in five innings of work, helping No. 16 Oregon to a 4-1 victory over the Dons at PK Park on Tuesday afternoon.EUGENE, Ore. –
In his fourth start of the year, Gold (4-2) held the Dons (14-22)
without a hit through five innings, and struck out three. After an
Oregon (22-9) fielding error to start the game, the right-hander retired
15 consecutive batters.
Brando Tessar, Joey Housey and Alex Keudell combined to pitch the final
four innings of the game, holding USF to one unearned run on two hits
and two walks. Oregon’s two hits allowed was a season low for the staff
as San Francisco picked up its first hit in
Sophomore Ryon Healy doubled Oregon’s lead to 4-0 in the bottom of the
fifth with a double off the wall in left as J.J. Altobelli and Aaron
Jones scored after each singled earlier in the inning.
USF left-hander Christian Cecilio (1-4) took the loss after allowing
three runs on five hits and one walk despite striking out six.
Oregon took a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first with back-to-back hits
as Aaron Payne reached on an infield single, and Jones drove him in
with a double over the head of USF left fielder Ted LeMasters.
The Ducks added a run in the third to take a 2-0 advantage as Payne’s sacrifice bunt scored Connor Hofmann from third.
Altobelli and Jones led the Ducks with two hits apiece.
USF’s run came in the ninth after Jason Mahood was walked, but reached
third on an error before scoring on Nik Balog’s fielder’s choice.
Oregon returns to action on the road Friday, playing its third
consecutive weekend series against a ranked opponent as the Ducks travel
to sixth-ranked Stanford. The series opens at 5:30 p.m., Friday at
Notes: Daniel Pardini (right field) and Kevin Shepherd (third base) made
the first starts of their careers…Oregon now leads the all-time series
against the Dons 7-0...Oregon’s pitching staff allowed a season low two
Gold And Healy Power No. 16 Oregon in Win
Release Date: 04/10/2012
Jeff Gold after San Francisco - Game 2PLAY VIDEO
- Head Coach George Horton post San Francisco game 2
- HD: Baseball vs. San Francisco - Game 2
- Highlights: Baseball vs. San Francisco - Game 2
- Ryon Healy after San Francisco - Game 2
- Condensed Game: Baseball vs. San Francisco - Game 2
- Ducks Drop Regional Opener
- As Regional Opens, Ducks Eager To Build On Hot Finish
- Cleavinger and Tolman Earn first-team All-Pac-12 honors
- UO Heads To Regionals (Notes)
- Heineman Pac-12's Player Of Week
- Ducks Fall Short At WCWS
- McIver, Wise Named to the Division I PING All-Region West Team
- Ducks Add Eight to NCAA Tally
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks