EUGENE, Ore.—The University of Oregon men’s basketball team moved to 6-1 on the season after defeating the University of Texas-San Antonio, 95-78, Thursday night at Matthew Knight Arena in front of 5,204 fans.
Senior Arsalan Kazemi stole the ball on the very first play of the game and was fouled on his way to the basket, leading to two free throws for the first points of the game. Kazemi went on to score the next four points for the Ducks on his way to a season-high 20 to lead the team.
Freshman Dominic Artis scored 16, points, matching his career-high, while senior Tony Woods scored 15, and junior transfer Waverly Austin added 10 of his own in his first start at Oregon.
Freshman Ben Carter led the team in rebounding with seven, while Kazemi recorded six, including three on the offensive end. Kazemi also led the Ducks defensively as he blocked three shots and matched his career-high of five steals.
The Ducks outshot the Roadrunners 63.3%-56.6% from the field. Oregon led UTSA in points in the paint (62-32), points off of turnovers (33-12), second chance points (12-2) and fast break points (12-6). Oregon’s bench contributed 33 points, led by Woods’ 15 and Carlos Emory’s nine.
Highlights from tonight’s game included a monster block from Kazemi, an electrifying reverse dunk on a fast break by Kazemi, a two-handed dunk by Emory over two UTSA defenders, and a beautiful pass from Artis threaded through four defenders to Woods under the basket who finished the play with a powerful jam.
- E.J. Singler moved into 20th place on UO’s all-time points list with 1,191, passing Dick Wilkins.
- Arsalan Kazemi recorded five steals for the second time this season.
- Three players shot over 80% tonight: Kazemi (88.9%), Artis (87.5%) and Emory (80%)
- The Ducks shot over 60% from the field (63.3%) for the first time since 12/29/11 at Washington State
- Tonight’s 95 points is a season-high for Oregon
- Kazemi is the sixth different Duck to lead the team in scoring this season
Basketball - M
BASKETBALL - M
BASKETBALL - W
GOLF - M
GOLF - W
TENNIS - M
TENNIS - W
TRACK & FIELD
Thu, Mar 13
Basketball - M 6:00 PM
Las Vegas, Nev.