Junior Jimmie Sherfy will lead Oregon into the season. The junior pitcher has been named a first-team preseason All-American by both Louisville Slugger and the National Collegiate Baseball Writers Association. Sherfy set an Oregon record with 19 saves while finishing with a 5-3 record in 36 appearances. He struck out 93 hitters in just 61.1 innings (an average of 13.6 strikeouts per nine innings pitched) and held opponents to a .172 batting average.
Ducks Ranked No. 6 in Collegiate Baseball Preseason Poll
Release Date: 12/20/2012
The start of the 2013 season is under two months away, which means there will be plenty of prognostications forthcoming before first pitches start to flying across NCAA diamonds in February. One such list, Collegiate Baseball's top 40, was released Thursday and pegged the Oregon Ducks at No. 6.
The Ducks are the second-highest Pac-12 team in the poll, one spot behind 2012 College World Series runner-up UCLA. All told, six conference teams are among the rankings and all in the top 18 with Stanford ninth, Oregon State 10th, Arizona State 16th and defending CWS champion Arizona 18th.
Oregon is coming off its most successful campaign since the program was reinstated in 2009, including the Ducks' appearance in the NCAA Super Regional, hosted at PK Park in Eugene. UO placed third in the Pac-12 while establishing a school record for wins, going 46-19 overall.
The Ducks open the year with a four-game series at Hawaii starting on Friday, Feb. 15.
- Chase, Irvin claim preseason All-America honors
- Happy Halloween and Go Ducks!
- Reed To Pitch In Fall League All-Star Game
- Friday's Alumni Baseball Game Also Debut For Newcomers
- Former Duck Reed Earns Arizona Fall League Award
- New Lineup Sparks Ducks to Victory Over Delaware State, 83-70
- UO Football Practice Recap: Dec. 20
- Notes: Women's Basketball Hosts Fresno State on Sunday
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks