No. 21 Ducks Complete LA Sweep, Topple No. 24 Bruins, 76-67
LOS ANGELES (AP) - Tony Woods scored 18 points and No. 21 Oregon pulled away over the final 6 1-2 minutes to beat No. 24 UCLA 76-67 on Saturday, improving the Ducks to 5-0 in Pac-12 play for the first time in 39 years.
Dominic Artis added 14 points, and Arsaian Kezemi had 12 points and 11 rebounds for the Ducks (16-2, 5-0), who snapped the Bruins' 10-game winning streak, including eight straight victories at home.
UCLA (15-4, 5-1) led by three points at halftime after shooting 55 percent. They led by five early in the second half and tied the game at 52-all before the Ducks' defense stepped up and sent the Bruins' shooting into a tailspin.
Travis Wear scored 17 points to lead the Bruins, whose winning streak equaled their longest since 2008-09. Norman Powell added 11 points starting in place of Shabazz Muhammad, who finished with 10 points, as did Kyle Anderson.
After barely getting by Southern California 76-74 on Thursday, the Ducks won their seventh straight and 11th in their last 12. They are 5-0 in league play for the first time since 1973-74 when the conference had eight teams. Back then, they lost their next game to then-No. 1 UCLA at Pauley Pavilion.
Down by five, the Ducks ran off eight straight points to take a 49-46 lead while the Bruins went 5:17 without scoring. They tied the game at 52-all on a jumper by Wear.
From there, the Ducks slowly built a 62-56 lead, capped by Kazemi's layup off his own offensive rebound.
Powell hit a 3-pointer and Anderson made two free throws to pull the Bruins within one with 3:30 to play, but they came no closer in front of 12,254, the second-largest crowd of the season at the newly renovated arena.
Muhammad didn't start as punishment for being late to practice on Friday and he sat the first 5 minutes. The freshman scored 10 of UCLA's final 12 points to put them ahead 40-37 at halftime.
During Muhammad's run, the Bruins took their largest lead of six points before E.J. Singler's 3-pointer with 6 seconds left cut down the advantage.
The Ducks led by four points early in the game, despite committing four turnovers and going 7 for 20 from the field in the first 9 1-2 minutes.
- Oregon trailed at the half for just the fourth time this season (2-2).
- The Ducks are now 3-1 vs. top 25 competition on the year.
- With nine points, SR F E.J. Singler tied Charlie Warren (1959-62) for 16th on UO's all-time scoring list with 1,301.
- SR F Arsalan Kazemi (12 points, 11 rebounds) recorded his fourth double-double of the season and 49th of his career.
- Oregon has won three straight against UCLA.
- The Ducks are 5-0 in conference play for the first time since 1973-74 and third time in history.
- SR C Tony Woods' 18 points were a career high.