Don't have an account? Click Here
After Rally, Ducks Fall Short In Overtime Against UConn
Release Date: 03/26/2013
Print RSS
Related Links

STORRS, Conn. -- The Oregon Ducks rallied from a four-goal second-half deficit to take a one-goal lead with 3:15 left in regulation but ultimately fell in overtime, 16-14, to Connecticut. 

The loss came despite a career-high five-goal effort from junior Hayley Milner.

Connecticut improved to 7-1 overall with the win, while the Ducks fell to 4-5.

UConn scored the first three goals of the match to take a 3-0 lead with 16:07 to play in the first half.  But Oregon's offense responded with a 3-0 run of its own to tie the game at the 11:13 mark.  Milner got the scoring started with an unassisted goal and Propst followed with a goal after receiving a pass from Carly O'Connell.  Milner tacked on the third goal with help from a Propst assist.

But the Huskies came back with their second three-goal run of the half thanks to two goals by Kacey Pippitt and one by Ally Fazio to reclaim the lead, 6-3, with 7:46 to play in the half. O'Connell and Casey Brogan punched in goals for the Ducks near the end of the half but UConn carried a 7-5 edge into the break.

Connectictut out-scored the Ducks 3-1 to begin the second half to build a 10-6 lead.   

Then, the Ducks rallied.

Milner, Olivia Pyne and Propst scored the next three goals of the match to make it a 10-9 score and help Oregon crawl back into the match.

With 15:38 remaining in regulation, Connecticut led 12-10. Then, Nikki Puszcz brought the Ducks back within one with a free position goal just under two minutes later.  Milner matched her career-high by burying her fourth goal at the 13:28 mark and then set her new career-high by scoring her fifth goal with 10:10 left.

The goal gave the Ducks a 13-12 advantage, their first lead since the 13:29 mark in the second half against San Diego State on March 22.

After Connecticut's Carly Palmucci tied the game with an unassisted goal with 8:13 left, Oregon senior Kate Cathell gave the Ducks their second lead of the game by converting on a free position shot with 3:15 to go.

Just 46 seconds later, however, Catherine Gross scored a goal for the Huskies to knot the score at 14. 

The score remained the same throughout the final minutes of regulation and the game went into overtime.

Oregon failed to capitalize after Puszcz won the opening draw control in overtime.  After a turnover, Palmucci scored to give the Huskies a 15-14 lead with 3:24 to go.

In the second half of the overtime period, Morgan O'Reilly put UConn up 16-14 and Huskie goalie Marya Fratoni saved two Oregon shots to ice the game.

With the loss, the Ducks fell to 1-2 in overtime games.

Connecticut out-shot the Ducks 31-28 and won the draw control battle, 18-16.  Both teams finished 3-for-6 in free position shots.

Milner's five goals led all scorers, while Palmucci paced Connecticut with four.  Cathell and Propst each had two goals for the Ducks.  Brogan, Pyne, Puszcz, O'Connell and Sami Kiser were the other goal-scorers and O'Connell set a new career-best with five assists.

In addition, O'Connell matched a career-high with five draw controls but Puszcz led all players with a career-best seven draw controls.  Puszcz also scooped up a team-high four ground balls, the best total of her career.

Salliebeth Finnegan made nine saves in goal for the Ducks and played all 66 minutes.

Oregon will have three days off before its next match.  On Saturday (March 30), the Ducks travel to Norfolk, Va., to play Old Dominion.  Game time is slated for 8 a.m. (PT).


Ducks On Pac-12 Networks