TUCSON, Ariz.—The No. 42 University of Oregon men’s tennis team defeated the Arizona Wildcats 6-1 Sunday in its second conference match of the season. The Ducks advance to 14-3 overall and 1-1 in conference play this season, while the Wildcats drop to 10-8 overall and 0-2 in Pac-12 play.
“Today we established control on the road,” said head coach Nils Schyllander. “The guys showed unbelievable heart and were not going to be denied.”
Oregon continued it streak of doubles points won as it recorded yet another against Arizona, pushing the streak to 17. The Ducks took victories on Courts 1 and 3 as Jeff Mullen and Robin Cambier took down Sumeet Shinde and Fredrik Ask 8-6, and Alex Rovello and Daan Maasland beat Kieren Thompson and Naoki Takeda 8-4. Daniel Sardu and Aaron Clissold dropped their match 8-4 to Giacomo Miccini and Mario Urquidi.
In singles, the Ducks won the matches on Courts 1-5, with only Brent Chin falling to Carlos Bermudez 6-0, 7-5 on Court 6. Cambier topped Miccini 5-7, 6-4, 10-5 on Court 1, while Mullen defeated Ask 6-3, 4-6, 7-5 on Court 2, and Rovello beat Thompson 7-6(5), 3-6, 10-6 on Court 3 in tight matches. Maasland handled Shinde 6-2, 6-1 on Court 4, and Sardu took down Urquidi 6-3, 3-6, 6-0 on Court 5.
Oregon returns to the UO Student Tennis Center next as it takes on California on Friday, April 5th at 1 p.m. and Stanford on Saturday, April 6th at 12:30 p.m. Admission to the events is free. A full recap with statistics will be available following the match on the UO athletics website, www.goducks.com.
#42 Oregon, 6 def. #64 Arizona, 1
LaNelle Robson Tennis Center
March 31, 2013
1. Cambier/Mullen (UO) def. Ask/Shinde (UA), 8-6
2. Miccini/Urquidi (UA) def. Sardu/Clissold (UO), 9-8(4)
3. Rovello/Maasland (UO) def. Thompson/Takeda (UA), 8-4
Order of finish: 3,1*,2
*Clinch doubles point
1. Robin Cambier (UO) def. Giacomo Miccini (UA), 5-7, 6-4, 10-5
2. Jeff Mullen (UO) def. Fredrik Ask (UA), 6-3, 4-6, 7-5
3. Alex Rovello (UO) def. Kieren Thompson (UA), 7-6(5), 3-6, 10-6
4. Daan Maasland (UO) def. Sumeet Shinde (UA), 6-2, 6-1
5. Daniel Sardu (UO) def. Mario Urquidi (UA), 6-3, 3-6, 6-0
6. Carlos Bermudez (UA) def. Brent Chin (UO), 6-0, 7-5
Order of finish: 4,6,5,2*,3,1
Ducks Top Wildcats 6-1, Earn First Conference Victory
Release Date: 03/31/2013
- UO Tennis Earns Seven Players on All-Academic Team
- Pair of Ducks Named to Pac-12 All-Conference Team
- Schyllander Signs Top Junior from Indonesia
- Swaysland Earns ITA Award, Internship with Wilson
- Oregon Tripped Up in Quarterfinals at Pac-12 Championships
- Tourney Teams Highlight Schedule
- First Wave Of Incoming Freshmen Already Adjusting To College
- Ducks Enriched by Service Trip To Dominican Republic
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks