SALT LAKE CITY, Utah -- The 59th-ranked Oregon Ducks lost a 6-1 match to Utah on Sunday afternoon in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Utah improved to 8-7 with the win and 2-5 in Pac-12 play. The Ducks fell to 11-6 overall and 1-5 in conference play.
"We are obviously disappointed that we came out of the weekend empty-handed," said head coach Paul Reber. "We were not able to make adjustments to the high altitude and we need to get home now and regroup because we have three tough matches coming up in the Bay Area next week."
The Ducks lost all three of their doubles matches to start the day down 1-0. In singles play, Sofia Hager posted the only victory of the afternoon for Oregon with a 1-6, 7-5, (12-10) triumph over Natasha Smith in the No. 4 match. Julia Metzger's 12-match winning streak came to an end with a 4-6, 2-6 loss in the No. 3 slot.
Oregon will stay on the road this weekend for three matches in the Bay Area. The Ducks play at San Francisco on Thursday (April 4) at 1 p.m. and play back-to-back Pac-12 matches at California on April 5 and Stanford on April 6. The Pac-12 matches are scheduled for 1:30 p.m. and 12 p.m., respectively.
Utah 6, No. 59 Oregon 1
1. No. 33 Miles/Bekerova def. Skowronski/Long, 8-5
2. Najera-Salas/Smith def. Metzger/Neubert, 8-7(6)
3. Craig/Pham def. Hager/Hughes, 8-5
Order of Finish: 2,1,3
1. No. 74 Tereza Bekerova (UU) def. No. 102 Nicole Long (OR), 6-1, 6-2
2. Sarah Pham (UU) def. Patricia Skowronski (OR), 1-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Callie Craig (UU) def. Julia Metzger (OR), 6-4, 6-2
4. Sofia Hager (OR) def. Natasha Smith (UU), 1-6, 7-5(9)
5. Lucia Kovarcikova (UU) def. Lana Buttner (OR), 6-3, 6-3
6. Paige Miles (UU) def. Rabea Stueckemann, 6-4, 6-1