BAKERSFIELD, Calif. – A third set decided the match between the Oregon sand volleyball team and CSU Bakersfield, Wednesday, as the Ducks fell 3-2 in a close contest.
The match was a back-and-forth affair as the Ducks (1-5) went down 1-0 until Martenne Bettendorf and Amanda Benson won at No. 4, 21-18, 21-18, leveling the team score at 1-1.
Ashen and Bettendorf did not play together for the first time this season after accruing a 4-1 record in their first five matches, but each was victorious, Wednesday, and moved to 5-1 individually.
In the deciding match, Liz Brenner and Tatum Norton dropped their first set at No. 1, 21-11, but responded with a close win in the second set, 21-19. The Roadrunners’ top team of Molly O’Hagan and Debora Araujo were able to narrowly win a third set, 15-12 and seal the win for CSUB.
Oregon will play a doubleheader, Thursday against No. 2 USC (4:30 p.m.) and CSU Northridge (6 p.m.). The match against USC will be aired live on the Pac-12 Networks.
CSU Bakersfield 3, Oregon 2
1. Molly O'Hagan/Debora Araujo (CSUB) def. Liz Brenner/Tatum Norton (ORE) 21-11, 19-21, 15-12
2. Mariah Alvidrez/Shayna Guitare (CSUB) def. Canace Finley/Natalie Bookout Gonzalez (ORE) 21-4, 21-6
3. Shellsy Ashen/Kacey Nady (ORE) def. Julia Bowen/Lisa Bartsch (CSUB) 21-15, 21-11
4. Martenne Bettendorf/Amanda Benson (ORE) def. Sydney Haynes/Danika Youngblood (CSUB) 21-18, 21-18
5. Hazel Perrins/Sara Little (CSUB) def. Serena Warner/Naya Crittenden (ORE) 21-16, 21-10
Order of Finish
5, 4, 2, 3, 1