SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Freshman Jayson Amos tallied impressive wins in singles and doubles, but Oregon fell short to No. 64 Santa Clara on Wednesday at the Degheri Tennis Center. The Ducks (15-5) came out on the wrong end of a 4-2 decision to finish the season with a 14-2 record in nonconference play.
Despiting victories from Amos and junior Joey Swaysland in the bottom of the singles lineup, the Broncos (13-5) won the doubles point and the top three singles matches to down No. 39 Oregon.
Amos and junior Daniel Sardu blanked Santa Clara's No. 3 doubles team, 8-0, and improved to 13-6 this spring. The Broncos responded by winning the top two doubles matches as UO was denied the doubles point for just the fourth time this season.
Amos reached the 20-win plateau with a victory in No. 5 singles, besting junior Sam Bertram in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. The Mission Viejo, Calif., native is 20-5 on the season and 16-3 in dual matches. Amos becomes the 19th player in program history to win at least 20 singles matches in a season.
Swaysland cruised to a No. 6 singles win over junior Michael Tjuatadarma, improving to 8-5 in spring singes play. The Wagga Wagga, Australia, native won the first set 6-3 and clinched without dropping a single game in the second set.
Junior Daniel Sardu was leading his third set, 2-1, against freshman Mikheil Khmiadashvili before the match was left unfinished. Sardu won the second set in extra games, 7-6, to force a third set.
Santa Clara tallied wins in No. 1, 2 and 3 singles to notch their second straight win and improve to 13-5 overall. Oregon falls to 4-5 against ranked opponents this season.
The Ducks will face two more stern tests this week, returning to Pac-12 competition. Oregon will meet No. 19 California on Friday at 1:30 p.m. (PT) at the Hellman Tennis Complex. The Ducks will play the following day at No. 43 Stanford. UO will look for a second straight win against the Cardinal at 1:30 p.m. at the Taube Tennis Center.
No. 64 Santa Clara (13-5) 4, No. 39 Oregon (15-5) 2
1. John Lamble (SCU) def. Kevin Farin (ORE) 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
2. Ilya Osintsev (SCU) def. #59 Robin Cambier (ORE) 7-5, 7-6
3. Ashot Khacharyan (SCU) def. Daan Maasland (ORE) 6-4, 6-4
4. Daniel Sardu (ORE) vs. Mikheil Khmiadashvili (SCU) 3-6, 7-6, 2-1
5. Jayson Amos (ORE) def. Sam Bertram (SCU) 6-1, 6-2
6. Joey Swaysland (ORE) def. Michael Tjuatjadarma (SCU) 6-3, 6-0
1. Osintsev/Lamble (SCU) def. Cambier/Farin (ORE) 8-3
2. Khacharyan/Khmiadashvili (SCU) def. Maasland/Swaysland (ORE) 8-6
3. Sardu/Amos (ORE) def. Bertram/Tjuatjadarma (SCU) 8-0