BERKELEY, Calif. -- Senior Robin Cambier and sophomore Kevin Farin notched their most impressive doubles victory of the season, but it wasn’t enough as No. 19 California turned back Oregon. The Golden Bears won, 4-0, Friday at the Hellman Tennis Complex.
Cambier and Farin defeated California’s Gregory Bayane and Chase Melton, the nation’s 19th-ranked doubles team, by an 8-4 count in No. 1 doubles. The win marks Cambier and Farin’s first victory against a top 25 foe as the Belgium natives improved their season record to 20-5. Their win total ranks as the third-winningest season by a doubles team in UO history. Cambier and Farin are 12-4 at the No. 1 doubles position.
Despite UO’s win in the top position, the Golden Bears claimed the doubles point with a win in the No. 3 spot and a narrow win in No. 2 doubles - a match that came down to a tiebreaker.
California took momentum into singles play, and tallied wins at the No. 1, 2 and 4 matches to clinch the victory. Sophomore Daan Maasland, junior Joey Swaysland and freshman Jayson Amos had their matches left unfinished.
Oregon will look to rebound tomorrow, meeting Stanford at 1:30 p.m. (PT) in Stanford, Calif. Action will be held at the Taube Tennis Center. The Ducks are looking for a second straight victory against the Cardinal.
No. 19 California (13-5, 3-2) 4, No. 39 Oregon (15-6, 1-4) 0
1. Cambier/Farin (ORE) def. #19 Bayane/Melton (Cal) 8-4
2. Goransson/McLachlan (Cal) def. Maasland/Swaysland (Cal) 8-7 (6)
3. Bergevi/Engsted (Cal) def. Sardu/Amos (ORE) 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1. #69 Ben McLachlan (Cal) def. #59 Robin Cambier (ORE) 7-5, 6-2
2. Filip Bergevi (Cal) def. Kevin Farin (ORE) 6-3, 6-2
3. Andre Goransson (Cal) vs. Daan Maasland (ORE) abandoned
4. Gregory Bayane (Cal) def. Daniel Sardu (ORE) 6-2, 6-4
5. Mads Engsted (Cal) vs. Joey Swaysland (ORE) abandoned
6. Nikhil Jayashankar (Cal) vs. Jayson Amos (ORE) abandoned
Order of finish: 1, 2, 4