MOSCOW, Idaho – The Oregon women’s tennis team dropped a nail biter to Idaho Friday afternoon in a nail biting, back-and-forth match at the Memorial Gym Tennis Courts, 4-3.
Minor and Sanz had just started their third set when Hueffner tied things up. Minor had won the first set decisively, 6-3, but Sanz rallied back in the second set to take it 7-6 (4). With momentum on her size, Sanz came out firing and defeated Minor 6-2 in the third set to secure the, 4-3, win for Idaho (17-4, 3-1 WAC).
After having her last four matches abandoned, Nicole Long notched recorded her first win since March after she defeated Victoria Lozano 6-2, 3-6, 6-0 at No. 1 singles. Long’s win also tied the match up at 2-2 before Marlou Kluiving gave UO the 3-2 lead shortly thereafter.
Kluiving took down Sophie Vickers in two sets, but not before Vickers gave Kluiving a battle in the second set. The freshman however came away with the 6-3, 7-6 win at singles No. 4.
Oregon’s doubles teams were back to its regular pairing today after some movement the past three matches.
Kluiving and Lina Åkesson were the first to go down, losing their No. 2 doubles match to Bermudez and Galina Bykova, 8-5.
However, Long and Minor weren’t able to pull through with the win at No. 1 doubles, falling to Lozano and Sanz, 8-5, giving Idaho the doubles point.
Oregon will play its final regular-season match at 1 p.m. (PST) on Saturday, April 19, when they head to Pullman, Wash., to face the 45th-ranked Washington State Cougars.
Idaho 4, Oregon 3
1. Nicole Long (UO) def. Victoria Lozano (UI) 6-2, 3-6, 6-0
2. Almudena Sanz (UI) def. Jasmine Minor (UO) 3-6, 7-6(4), 6-2
3. Galina Bykova (UI) def. Sofia Hager (UO) 6-1, 6-2
4. Marlou Kluiving (UO) def. Sophie Vickers (UI) 6-3, 7-6
5. Belen Barcenilla (UI) def. Lana Buttner (UO) 6-4, 6-1
6. Allie Hueffner (UO) def. Rita Bermudez (UI) 7-6(3), 3-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 1, 4, 6, 2
1. V. Lozano/A. Sanz (UI) def. N. Long/J. Minor (UO) 8-5
2. R. Bermudez/G. Bykova (UI) def. M. Kluiving/L. Åkesson (UO) 8-5
3. S. Hager/L. Buttner (UO) def. B. Barcenilla/S. Vickers (UI) 8-5
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1