Week 4 Wrap, Ducks in the Draft
Monday, April 26, 10:30 p.m. PT
Last week marked the fourth of Oregon's five-week spring training, and the Ducks continued to get their work in. The defense, based on its performance on the competition day and in the scrimmage, continued to have the edge over the offense, but overall there were plenty of encouraging signs on both sides of the ball, and the two units continue to operate at a higher level than this time a year ago.
Saturday and Sunday were off days from a practice standpoint for current Ducks, but there was plenty of action involving UO players in the NFL draft. Six Ducks were drafted - Patrick Chung, Jairus Byrd, Max Unger, Fenuki Tupou, Ra'Shon Harris and Nick Reed - and three more - Jeremiah Johnson, Mark Lewis and Jaison Williams - had signed free agent contracts as of Monday afternoon. It was a record haul in more ways than one. To the draft notes...
- Six drafted players tied the school record for a single draft - a mark hit four times previously, most recently in 2002.
- Of those previous four times, only once (2002) did it occur when the NFL draft was made up of fewer than 17 rounds (it's now seven).
- Oregon had three players taken in the first two rounds for the first time ever.
- Three Ducks were selected among the top 49 picks, making Oregon one of only three schools (along with USC and Ohio State) to have that many or more players drafted among the first 49.
- UO had three total top 49 picks in the past four drafts prior to '09.
- The Ducks had two offensive linemen chosen in the same draft for the first time since 1973.
- Four defensive players taken in a single draft is a school record.
- Chung (34) and Byrd (42) were the highest drafted UO defensive backs since Alex Molden went 11th overall in 1996.
- Oregon has had at least one player drafted in 24 consecutive NFL drafts. All but two of those drafts featured two or more Ducks.
- Since 2002, 10 Ducks have been drafted in the first two rounds. From 1936 to 2001, 17 Oregon players were first or second round picks.
The Ducks got Week 5 started today with practice No. 13 of the spring. The defense won a points-based competition for the third time in four tries and will don black jerseys on Wednesday as a result.
The Spring Game kicks off at 2 p.m. on Saturday in Autzen Stadium. All the details about the game and surrounding fan festival can be found here.
GoDucks Live with Jerry Allen debuted on Monday. You can catch the show live weekdays from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. PT or view the archived episodes on demand at www.GoDucks.tv. Jerry broadcasts live from the Duck Store located at the Moshofsky Center.
DUCKS HEADED TO THE PROS
41 percent of Oregon's 2008 starters are now affiliated with NFL teams.
Player, Round-Pick (Overall), Team
Chung, 2-2 (34), New England Patriots
Byrd, 2-10 (42), Buffalo Bills
Unger, 2-17 (49), Seattle Seahawks
Tupou, 5-23 (159), Philadelphia Eagles
Harris, 6-32 (205), Pittsburgh Steelers
Reed, 7-38 (247), Seattle Seahawks
Johnson, FA, Houston Texans
Lewis, FA, Miami Dolphins
Williams, FA, Washington Redskins