Eddy Rodriguez in the bottom of the ninth, ended with a walk-off single from senior Andrew Schmidt, as Oregon christened PK Park with a 1-0 victory over the defending College World Series champion and 15th-ranked, Fresno State Bulldogs.Eugene, Ore. - A two-out rally started by junior
Going into the bottom of the ninth knotted at 0-0 after a pitching duel between Oregon starter Tyler Anderson and Fresno State starter Holden Sprague, Rodriguez kept the ninth alive with a two-out single to right field.
On a full count, junior right fielder Jett Hart then advanced Rodriguez to third with a single.
In his first at-bat of the afternoon, Schmidt, a switch hitter, faced right-hander Zac Bischoff who came on in the bottom of the ninth for the Bulldogs. With runners on the corners, the native of Roswell, Ga., singled to right field to bring home Rodriguez for the final score.
Oregon improves to 2-2 on the year, while Fresno State falls to 2-3.
Oregon junior left-hander Ryan Fleckenstein picked up the win for the Ducks after coming on in the ninth in relief of Anderson. Fleckenstein retired the side in his first win as a Duck.
It was Anderson who put the Ducks in position to win the game, pitching a flawless 8.0 innings and scattering six hits while striking out five. The Las Vegas native has a 1.32 ERA in his two starts for Oregon.
Fresno State’s best scoring opportunity came in the fifth as Dusty Robinson led off the inning with a double off the left field wall. Robinson advanced to third after two groundouts, but Anderson left him short of a run by striking out Danny Muno.
Bischoff took the loss for Fresno State, allowing three consecutive singles with two outs in the ninth.
Sprague went 7.2 innings, allowing four hits while collecting four strikeouts as well.
The game was played in front of a sold out crowd of 2,777.
Fresno State and Oregon meet for game 2 of the three-game series at 1 p.m. Saturday.
Schmidt's Walk-Off Upsets Defending Champs
Release Date: 02/27/2009
Pat Kilkenny After The GamePLAY VIDEO
- Coach Horton after Fresno State Game 1
- BSB vs. Fresno State PREGAME (Video)
- Andrew Schmidt after Game Winning RBI
- BSB vs. Fresno State (Video)
- UO hosts St. John's at PK Park
- In The Dugout With The Ducks: Sights and Sounds From Saturday's Win At UCSB
- Ducks Settle For Series Win at UCSB After 1-0 Loss Sunday
- Peterson Earns First 'W' As Ducks Make It Two Straight At No. 22 UCSB
- Ducks Open Top-25 Showdown At UCSB With 5-1 Victory
- UO's Season Ends with Loss to WSU in Pac-12 Tournament
- Pac-12 Opener Awaits Women’s Tennis
- Notes: Florida Rematch on Tap
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks