Alex Keudell shut out No. 6 Oregon State for eight and 2/3 innings on Sunday as the Ducks completed the series sweep with a 6-0 victory at PK Park.EUGENE, Ore. – Junior
Keudell (7-3) held the Beavers (38-17, 17-10) to just two hits, and retired the final 13 batters he faced until exiting the game with two outs in the top of the ninth as senior Kellen Moen was brought out to finish off the game. Keudell also fanned six in his eighth quality start of the year.
Oregon (33-26-1) finishes the regular season with a 33-26-1 record, and for the first time since returning to the diamond in 2009, swept a Pac-10 Conference series. UO’s last conference series sweep was against Washington in April of 1980.
The Ducks also end the regular season with a 10-3-1 record in their final 14 games, while also winning six of their final nine Pac-10 games.
Oregon State went through six pitchers on the hill, but it was starter James Nygren (8-3) that was pegged with the loss. In a short outing, Nygren pitched just two and 1/3 innings in the start allowing two runs – one earned – on two hits while striking out three.
Freshman Ryon Healy led Oregon with a 3-for-4 performance. His two-out double off the wall in center during the bottom of the first scored Danny Pulfer as Oregon took a 1-0 lead.
Junior KC Serna had a 2-for-4 day at the plate and drove in a run, while sophomore J.J. Altobelli went 2-for-4 with a double and scored two runs. Junior Brett Hambright was 1-for-4 and drove in two runs.
The Ducks scored their second run in the third as Brett Thomas singled in Altobelli, while UO added a run in the fifth to take a 3-0 lead when Pulfer got caught in a rundown allowing Altobelli to score from third.
Oregon added two runs in the sixth with some clutch two-out hits to take a 5-0 advantage. With runners on the corners, Serna dropped a RBI single into shallow right center as Aaron Jones scored from third. Hambright then drove in senior Shawn Peterson with a two-out single hit to left field.
In the eighth, the Ducks scored their final run of the game as UO loaded the bases with three singles, including one from senior Mitch Karraker who was brought in to pinch hit. Hambright drove in his second run of the day on a groundout.
Notes: Seniors Kellen Moen, Shawn Peterson and Mitch Karraker were honored prior to the game…Danny Pulfer’s 13-game modern era record hitting streak ended at 13 games as he went 0-2for-2 and was intentionally walked …the Ducks are now 7-6 against ranked opponents in 2011, and have a 10-3-1 record in their last 14 games…Oregon swept its first Pac-10 opponent since Washington in 1980 and swept a weekend series against the Beavers for the first time since 1973…Oregon finished the season series 4-1 against Oregon State.. .Oregon State holds a 10-6 advantage in the series since Oregon baseball was reinstated in 2009, and UO leads the series 4-1 in games played at PK Park…the Ducks shut out an opponent for the ninth time this season, and outscored Oregon State 14-2 in the weekend series.
Ducks Sweep Civil War Series
Release Date: 05/29/2011
Baseball vs. Oregon State - Game 3 - Civil WarPLAY VIDEO
- Ryon Healy after Civil War - Game 3
- Radio broadcast: Baseball vs. Oregon State - Game 3 - Civil War
- Coach George Horton after Oregon State - Game 3
- Danny Pulfer after Civil War - Game 3
- Alex Keudell after Civil War Series - Game 3
- Condensed Game: Baseball vs. Oregon State - Game 3 - Civil War
- Highlights: Baseball vs. Oregon State - Game 3 - Civil War
- In The Dugout With The Ducks: Sights and Sounds From Saturday's Win At UCSB
- Ducks Settle For Series Win at UCSB After 1-0 Loss Sunday
- Peterson Earns First 'W' As Ducks Make It Two Straight At No. 22 UCSB
- Ducks Open Top-25 Showdown At UCSB With 5-1 Victory
- No. 20 Baseball Team Raising The Bar For Top-25 Matchup At UCSB
- Duck Men Look to Bounce Back in Arizona
- Ducks Qualify 25 Entries to NCAA Championships
- Alleyne, Bando Earn Pac-12 Honors
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks