Ducks Walk Off for 10th Straight Win, 8-7 vs. LBSU
Release Date: 03/04/2012
Aaron Jones’ clutch two-out single on a 3-0 pitch in the bottom of the ninth scored pinch runner Vernell Warren with the winning run to give the Ducks (10-1) their 10th straight victory.
In a game full of offense, freshman Kyle Garlick and sophomore Brett Thomas led the way. Garlick had three RBIs on two hits, and Thomas hit two triples, one leading off the ninth, which eventually led to the Ducks' winning run.
Oregon’s starter Brando Tessar had trouble finding a rhythm early in the game, allowing five earned runs in 4.2 innings, but solid relief from the bullpen kept the Ducks in the game.
Long Beach State used a hot start to build a 5-0 lead through the first four and a half innings.
But In the bottom of the fifth, the Ducks responded after J.J. Altobelli doubled off of Long Beach State’s starter Ryan Strufing to start the inning. Ryon Healy brought Altobelli home with a one-out single, closing the gap at 5-1.
After a 1-2-3 top of the seventh, the Ducks plated four runs, two via Thomas’ first triple, tying it up at 5-all.
The Dirtbags weren’t done yet though, as they responded with two runs of their own in the top of the eighth, making the score 7-5, but Oregon responded yet again with a two-run bottom of the frame, both thanks to Garlick’s two-out double to left.
Juan Avila scored two runs, going 3 for 5 with a double and two RBIs. Brennan Fulkerson also came through, going 2 for 4 with a double and two RBIs.
Joey Housey (1-0) pitched the final 1.1 innings in relief for UO to earn the win. Nick Sabo (0-2) took the loss for LBSU.
The one-run win for Oregon was its fifth of the season, equalling the Ducks' total from last year.
Oregon is next in action on Friday, when they will face the Fighting Illini of Illinois (4-5) at the Nike College Showcase.
Head Coach George Horton post Long Beach game 3PLAY VIDEO
- Highlights: Baseball vs. Long Beach State - Game Three
- Baseball vs. Long Beach State - Game 3
- Condensed Game: Baseball vs. Long Beach State - Game 3
- HD: Baseball vs. Long Beach State - Game 3
- Ducks Pound No. 10 USC 15-4
- Ducks lose lead and game at USC
- Ducks win 5-2 at Portland
- Back End Of The Bullpen Has Been Consistent Force For Ducks
- Bats Come Alive As Ducks Claim Civil War Series
- Pac-12 Championships Set To Begin in Boulder on Monday
- Ducks Defeat UW 4-1, Secure Best Pac-12 Finish in 15 Years
- Prandini Goes Big With Two School Records, Ducks Win Big at Oregon Relays
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks