Oregon to Celebrate National Girls & Women in Sports Day
Release Date: 02/14/2013
As part of the event, women's sports teams from UO will be in the Matthew Knight Arena practice courts from 3-4 p.m. to share in activities, games and an autograph session. Participating teams include: Acrobatics & Tumbling, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Track & Field and Volleyball.
Fans must purchase a game ticket to enter the pre-game fan fair. Kids 12 and under can receive $3 general admission at the doors. The Oregon-Washington State game is set to tip-off at 4 p.m.
- Women’s golf: will have temporary tattoos for the kids
- Volleyball: will have the whole east court to play volleyball with the youth
- Acro & Tumbling: will be demonstrating some of their skills
- Lacrosse: will have “get in gear” station where kids can try on all of the lacrosse gear and snap a photo
- Track & Field: will have have mini hurdles, ladder and going through speed drills
- Soccer: will have cones and balls to teach some drills
Lacrosse and Acrobatics & Tumbling will be giving out vouchers to kids for $2 admission into one of their games/matches. There will also have sign making and a visit from the Oregon Cheerleaders from 3-3:30 p.m. and The Oregon Duck from 3:30-3:50 p.m. All teams will have posters or cards to sign for the kids as well as some t-shirts and small giveaways for the kids.
NGWSD is celebrated in all 50 states with community-based events, award ceremonies, and activities honoring the achievements and encouraging participation of girls and women in sports.
NGWSD began in 1987 as a day to remember Olympic volleyball player Flo Hyman for her athletic achievements and her work to assure equality for women's sports. Hyman died of Marfan's Syndrome in 1986 while competing in a volleyball tournament in Japan. Since that time, NGWSD has evolved into a day to acknowledge the past and recognize current sports achievements, the positive influence of sports participation, and the continuing struggle for equality and access for women in sports.
- Shaw Signs Three More for Next Year
- A&T Grows Stronger After Roller Coaster Season
- Ducks' Bid for Fifth Title Falls Short
- Ducks Win in Semis, Move On To Championship Meet
- Oregon Excels Against Alderson Broaddus, Advances to Semis
- Mariota Opens Training Camp Atop Titans Depth Chart
- Preseason Camp Preview: Offensive Line
- Ducks Fifth In Coaches Poll, Picked To Win Pac-12 North
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks