Ducks Drop Bears, Clinch Championship Berth
Release Date: 04/08/2011
EUGENE – Top-seeded Oregon built an early lead that it never relinquished and punched its tickets to Saturday’s National Collegiate Acrobatics and Tumbling Association Team Championship with a 280.290-276.873 win over Baylor at Matthew Knight Arena on Friday night.
The Ducks (7-1) claimed five of the six events, including the first three to build a lead of over two points at halftime. Oregon began the evening by taking compulsories (38.81-38.18).
UO then opened stunts with a season-best 9.93 in the five-element heat and cruised to a decisive 29.29-28.25 win in the second event. Oregon expanded its lead by outscoring Baylor 29.15-28.70 in the pyramid, which gave UO a 97.250-95.133 lead at the break.
The Ducks continued to build the lead with a 28.10-27.25 win in baskets as Oregon swept all three heats, with the second heat leading the way with a 9.60.
A late fall in tumbling helped the Bears creep a little closer with a 50.25-49.82 win leading into the team routine. However, the Ducks stemmed any momentum the Bears hoped they gained with a strong 105.120 score, marking the fourth-straight meet Oregon has cracked the 105-point barrier in the final event. Baylor countered with 104.240 to finish the meet.
Oregon will square off with No. 2 seed Maryland, who advanced with a 280.512-271.583 win over Quinnipiac earlier in the day. The final day of competition begins with the individual events championships at 6 p.m. The Ducks and Terrapins clash for the team title at 8 p.m.
Oregon vs. Baylor - NCATA Championship - Round 2PLAY VIDEO
- Coach Felecia Mulkey after NCATA Championships - Round 2
- Chelsea White and Kelsey Rowell after Round 2 NCATA Championships
- Shaw Signs Three More for Next Year
- A&T Grows Stronger After Roller Coaster Season
- Ducks' Bid for Fifth Title Falls Short
- Ducks Win in Semis, Move On To Championship Meet
- Oregon Excels Against Alderson Broaddus, Advances to Semis
- Wise Crowned 49th Pacific Coast Amateur Champion
- Former Oregon Goalkeeper Abby Steele Signs with Reign FC
- Mariota Opens Training Camp Atop Titans Depth Chart
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks