Pac-12 Leader Stanford Defeats Oregon 86-62
Release Date: 02/01/2013
Ariel Thomas led the Ducks with 17 points and nine rebounds, while Jillian Alleyne recorded her eighth double-double of the season with 13 points and 13 rebounds. Defensively, Jordan Loera was active for UO as she recorded four steals.
Chiney Ogwumike led the Cardinal with an impressive 22 points and 13 rebounds. Joslyn Tinkle (16 points) and Sara James (11 points) also scored in double figures for Stanford.
Liz Brenner broke Stanford's 8-0 run to start the game with 18 minutes left in the first period. Behind excellent shooting from Joslyn Tinkle and Sara James, the Cardinal proceeded to go on another 8-0 run before Thomas banked one in to put the score at 16-4. Thomas went on a 7-0 run by herself to bring, but Stanford endured the run and maintained their lead.
Janitah Iamaleava nailed a jumper before Thomas drilled a three-pointer to bring the Ducks within ten points. A pair of technical fouls on Oregon head coach Paul Westhead and Stanford’s Tinkle put the score at 34-24 with 2:29 to play in the half. After trading baskets and free throws, the teams headed into the locker rooms with Stanford up 38-27.
Thomas led the Ducks with 14 first-half points and six rebounds, while Jillian Alleyne added six points and led all players with eight rebounds.
The Cardinal came out of halftime on a tear as they started on a 18-4 run to extend their lead to 56-31. Amanda Delgado gave UO a nice spark off the bench as she hit two three-pointers, but the Ducks were unable to slow Stanford’s offense.
Stanford maintained at least a 20-point lead for the remainder of the half.
The Ducks shot 28.4% from the field (19-of-67) and 23.8% from beyond the arc (5-of-21), while the Cardinal shot 44.4% (32-of-72) from the field and 37% from three-point range (10-of-27). UO did get a victory over Stanford on the boards, as they led 48-40 in rebounding.
Oregon (3-18, 1-8) returns to action on Sunday with a home game against California. Tip-off is set for 1 p.m. at Matthew Knight Arena.
- Jillian Alleyne (13 points and 13 rebounds) recorded her eighth double-double of the year. It was Alleyne’s fourth double-double against Pac-12 competition. Alleyne also led the team in rebounding, something she has done 16 times this year.
- Ariel Thomas (17 points and nine rebounds) narrowly missed tallying her second double-double of the season (second in the last three games). Thomas scored a team-high for points, something she’s done on six occasions this season (14 on her career).
- Oregon out-rebounded Stanford, 48-40. It was the seventh time in the last eight games that UO has grabbed more boards than the opponent. As a result, the Ducks had a 15-10 edge for second-chance points.
- Stanford’s largest lead was 29 points, 74-45, with 4:56 left in the game. The Cardinal’s largest lead of the first half was 20 points, 33-13, with 6:21 on the game clock. Following a 10-0 run, Oregon cut the lead that first-half lead to 10 points, 33-23. The Ducks never led in the game.
Paul Westhead Post StanfordPLAY VIDEO
- Ariel Thomas and Jillian Alleyne post Stanford
- Ducks Advance at Penn Relays, Win Big at Titan Twilight
- Ducks Eliminated from MPSF Tournament
- Kelly Uses No. 7 NFL Draft Pick To Select Ducks' Buckner
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks