Jonathan Stewart was chosen 13th overall by the Carolina Panthers, quarterback Dennis Dixon went to the Pittsburgh Steelers in Round 5, and offensive tackle Geoff Schwartz had his name called by the Panthers in the seventh round.EUGENE, Ore. – For the sixth time in the last seven years, the Oregon Ducks saw at least three players selected in the NFL Draft. Running back
In addition, two other Ducks signed as free agents at the conclusion of the two-day draft extravaganza. Wide receiver Cameron Colvin was tabbed by his hometown San Francisco 49ers, and defensive tackle David Faaeteete was inked by the Chicago Bears.
Stewart, the only junior among the UO group headed to play on Sundays, became the fifth UO player to go in the first round during the Mike Bellotti era. All told, 39 former Ducks have been drafted by NFL teams under the 13-year head coach.
Oregon has seen multiple players drafted in every year of Bellotti’s reign with the exception of 2001, when the lone Duck taken was quarterback A.J. Feeley – now in his eighth year in the NFL - in Round 5 by the Philadelphia Eagles.
Oregon’s First Round NFL Draft Picks since 1996
Year – Player, Position, Team (Round-Overall)
2008 – Jonathan Stewart, RB, Carolina (1-13)
2006 – Haloti Ngata, DT, Baltimore (1-12)
2002 – Joey Harrington, QB, Detroit (1-3)
1999 – Akili Smith, QB, Cincinnati (1-3)
1996 – Alex Molden, DB, New Orleans (1-11)
Oregon's NFL Draft Wrap
Release Date: 04/30/2008
- Ducks Reward Helfrich with a Five-Year Contract Extension
- QB Adams Signs Paperwork with Ducks
- At Oregon, Signing Day Goes Beyond A List of New Recruits To The Football Team
- 2014 Season Review: Special Teams
- 2014 Season Review: Defensive backs
- Peterson Earns First 'W' As Ducks Make It Two Straight At No. 22 UCSB
- Oregon's Home Opener Spoiled by San Diego State
- Pepperdine Comes Back and Wins 4-3 Over UO
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks