Oregon vs. South Dakota - Postgame Notebook
Aug. 30, 2014
• Marcus Mariota tossed three touchdown passes, tying Darron Thomas for the UO career record with 66.
• Mariota extended his streak of throwing at least one TD to 27 straight games (or every game of his career).
• With four total TDs (3 passing, 1 rushing) Mariota broke a tie with Joey Harrington for most total touchdowns in Oregon history and now has 82 (66 passing, 15 rushing, 1 receiving).
• Byron Marshall career-highs of 8 catches and 138 receiving yards. He also had a game-high 90 yards rushing.
• Dwayne Stanford’s first career TD catch was also a career-long reception of 62 yards.
• Ten true freshmen saw the field for the Ducks: LS Tanner Carew, OG Tyrell Crosby, OLB Justin Hollins, RB Royce Freeman, WR/RET Charles Nelson, DL Austin Maloata, DL Henry Mondeaux, LB Jimmie Swain, DB Arrion Springs, PK Aidan Schneider.
• True freshmen accounted for 3 TDs: 2 rushing for Freeman, 1 punt return for Nelson.
• Jeff Lockie had career-highs of 11 completions, 12 attempts, 113 yards and 1 TD in reserve of Mariota.
• The Ducks were a perfect 5 of 5 in the Red Zone (all touchdowns) and 7 of 9 on 3rd down - both areas they were looking to improve on from last season.
• Four-year basketball letterman Johnathan Loyd made his college football debut and had a reception for 2 yards.
• First-year starter at safety Reggie Daniels tied for the team-high with 7 tackles and also forced a fumble.
• The Oregon defense pitched a shutout in the second half for the second straight game (Texas in the Alamo Bowl).