Oregon Tops Northern Arizona in Regular Season Opener
Release Date: 11/10/2012
Oregon had four players score in double figures as senior Tony Woods led the way with 14, followed by 13 from freshman Damyean Dotson, 12 from senior E.J. Singler and 10 from freshman Dominic Artis. Woods’ 14 was one shy of his career high points total. Senior Carlos Emory contributed eight points, while freshman Willie Moore scored seven and junior Waverly Austin finished with six.
Singler led the Ducks with eight rebounds, while Woods gathered seven of his own, followed by six from Dotson and five from Emory and Austin.
Oregon shot 46.7% compared to NAU’s 45.2% and outshot the Lumberjacks 42.9% to 30.8% from three-point range in the first half. The Ducks headed into halftime up 45-35.
NAU rallied in the second half to catch up to UO and took their first lead of the game, 67-66, with 5:44 remaining after back-to-back three-point shots by Dewayne Russell and Blake Hamilton. A powerful dunk by Woods sparked a 12-0 run by the Ducks to ensure that they would not lose the lead again. The Ducks, who returned only four scholarship players with game experience, started three freshmen against the Lumberjacks and played six, but it was the veterans who ignited the rally.
Singler tipped in a Woods miss and Emory nailed a three-pointer with 1:45 left to put Oregon up 73-67. Singler then hit a step-back jumper from midrange before Oregon sealed the victory with several free throws by Emory and Johnathan Loyd. The Lumberjacks missed eight straight shots during Oregon's run.
UO outrebounded NAU 43-36 and ended up outshooting NAU 48.3% to 41.4%. Oregon’s points in the paint were the key to the game as they bested the Lumberjacks 42-24 in that category.
Oregon returns to Matthew Knight Arena on Monday to face Portland State at 6:30 p.m.
EJ Singler and Tony Woods post Northern ArizonaPLAY VIDEO
- Dana Altman post Northern Arizona
- MBB Highlights - Come see Vanderbilt
- Hoops Fans Heard: 2015-16 Basketball Season Tickets Priced Dramatically Lower
- Looking Back at the 2014-15 Season
- In His Final Game For Oregon, Young Provides One Last Memorable Performance
- Ducks Take Fight To Badgers In NCAA Tournament Loss
- Ducks Ready To Battle Badgers Again
- Ducks Kick Off NCATA National Championships
- Softball Sweeps Stanford for Third Straight Season
- Ducks Take The Lead Behind Inglis' Career Day
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks