Ducks Lose in Extra Time to No. 21 Oklahoma State
Release Date: 08/27/2010
“It was an emotional, painful loss in overtime - devastating to give up a free kick goal after playing so well on all parts of the field,” head coach Tara Erickson said. “I felt like the first half we were a little tentative. In the overtime we came to play, came to win.
“Despite the loss, I was really pleased with our soccer, our style of play,” Erickson said.
Oregon senior defender Mercedes Walters and OSU forward Kyndall Treadwell were sent of the pitch in the 63rd minute following a skirmish which resulted in both receiving red cards. The two teams played with 10 players each for the remainder of the contest.
The match went scoreless through the first 103 minutes of action, before a foul on Oregon resulted in a free kick for OSU just outside the 18-yard box. Wernimont hit the free kick by UO junior goalkeeper Cody Miles into the left-hand side-netting for the game-winner.
Miles had seven saves in playing the duration of the match for UO. She faced 17 shots on the night, eight of which were on goal.
Two of Oregon’s eight shots were on goal. Senior forward Jen Stoltenberg tallied a team-best three shots, one on goal, while five other Ducks tallied one shot apiece. Senior forward Rianna Mansfield was the only other UO player to record a shot on goal.
OSU was led by Kristen Kelley who had a game-high four shots. Both of Wernimont’s shots were on goal, while Treadwell, Megean Marchesano and Taylor Matthews each had two shots in the match.
OSU goalkeeper Adrianna Franch recorded two saves while also playing the full 104 minutes.
The Cowgirls held slim margins in both corner kicks (6-4) and fouls (12-8).
Oregon (1-1-0) returns to the pitch Sunday at 1 p.m. with a home contest against SMU. The Mustangs dropped a 2-0 road decision at Portland on Friday.
Soccer vs. Oklahoma StatePLAY VIDEO
- Coach Tara Erickson after Oklahoma State match
- Scout Libke after Oklahoma State Game
- Soccer Receives Recognition From NCAA For APR Scores
- Oregon Soccer Gives Back to Community: Part 1
- Mertz Adds One More Player To Incoming Crop
- Soccer Announces Spring Schedule
- Soccer Lands 10 on Signing Day
- Mercado Helps Spark Ducks Past Wolfpack In Supers
- Ducks Rally Falls Short In Game One
- NCAA Division I Menís and Womenís Outdoor Track & Field Championships Single Day Tickets on Sale Tuesday, May 26
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks