Don't have an account? Click Here
Number One Stanford Routs Ducks, 2-0, on Senior Day
Release Date: 10/30/2011
Print RSS
Related Links

EUGENE, Ore.- The University of Oregon (8-9-2, 3-6-1 Pac-12) fell to the 2011 Pac-12 Regular Season champion Stanford Cardinal (18-0-1, 10-0 Pac-12) on Senior Day and at the last soccer game ever at Pape' Field in front of over 700 fans on a rainy Sunday afternoon.

The condition of the field slowed down both teams as a downpour caused the field to be muddy and led to many slides and missed opportunities.

Stanford was awarded two corner kicks to open the first 45 minutes of action before Oregon committed fouls giving the ball back to the Cardinal to set up their first shot. A little over nine minutes into action, the Cardinal's Lindsay Taylor was able to plant and put her foot into a shot, but senior Lindsay Parlee, who got the start in goal today, was able to garner the save.

The Ducks did not sit back and took their first shot of the match at 11:15, but junior Maddy Mercier was not able to connect and the shot went wide.

The match stayed scoreless until the 13:55 mark when Stanford connected on a goal. Teresa Noyola was able to slip past the Oregon defense right in front of the goal off a clearance by Alina Garciamendez and score into an empty net from about three yards out.

UO rebounded and had the momentum switch to their side of the field, but an offsides call killed the Oregon scoring chance.

Taylor set up for a corner at 20:18 and the Cardinal, who has been tough to defend all season off those corners, managed to two get headers off, one by Nina Watkins and one by Marjani Hing-Glover, but neither added to their lead as Parlee picked up save number two on the first and the other went high over the net.

Stanford, who controlled much of the first half, was able to take two more shots, but neither found the back of the net, allowing them to take their 1-0 advantage into the half.

As the second half of play started, the rain stopped and the sun came out.

With the change in the weather, so changed the tempo of the match.

UO gave up its second goal of the match to Noyola at the 46:31 mark off the service from Mariah Nogueira for her eighth goal of the season, but after that the momentum and control of possession swung towards the Ducks' way.

Oregon gave up another corner to Stanford at 56:11, but the defense of UO stole the ball and was able to set up for freshman Bri Pugh to take back-to-back shots, but she was not able to bury either of them.

The Ducks fought their way back from another Stanford corner and earned a corner of their own at 66:10, which was taken by junior Scout Libke. Oregon had that possession killed by a questionable offsides call, but stole the ball back from the Cardinal allowing Mercier to take her second shot of the match that traveled high.

From that point on both teams' defenses played so tight that neither was able to take another shot in a match that slowed down.

UO had the chance to erase the shutout though at 81:37, but their third offsides call stopped the play.

Parlee lost for the first time on the season, dropping to 5-1 with her three-save outing. Emily Oliver, who did not record a save in the contest, moved to 13-0-1.

Stanford edged Oregon in shots, 8-4, while UO held the upper hand in the foul column, 11-8.

Mercier and Pugh collected two shots apiece for the Ducks' four.

Noyola led Stanford with two goals on four shots.

Oregon closes out its 2011 regular season campaign on Nov. 4 in Corvallis against rival-Oregon State at 7 p.m.

Ducks On Pac-12 Networks