Don't have an account? Click Here
Soccer Civil War Ends in 1-1 Tie
Release Date: 11/04/2011
Print RSS
Related Links

CORVALLIS, Ore.- Neither team could come away with an outright win in the soccer portion of the Civil War as the University of Oregon (8-9-3, 3-6-2 Pac-12) came from behind to tie #21  Oregon State (13-5-2, 7-3-1), 1-1, on a chilly Friday night at Paul Lorenz Field in Corvallis in front of 1, 401 fans.

It is the third time in five years that the teams have tied in the series. In 2007 and 2008 the teams played into ties, while the Ducks dropped games in 2009 and 2010.

"We played very well and hard against a talented Oregon State team," said Oregon head coach Tara Erickson." We defended well all over the field and moved on both offense and defense. That was probably one of our most complete games of the season. Maddy Mercier, as an outside back, played awesome and Abby (Steele) played well in goal. Scout (Libke) and LT (Lauren Thompson) played very organized against some good Oregon State forwards and our younger players played  great in their first Civil War."

OSU took two shots to open the match that did not find the back of the net, but Chelsea Buckland broke through with her 11th goal of the season inthe14th minute of action to put the Beavs ahead, 1-0.

But the Ducks came back with the equalizer to tie the match up at 1-1 in the 20th minute. Oregon State committed a foul, setting up the chance for Oregon to earn a corner, which they did on the possession. Sophomore Brynne Konkel got her head on the ball, but the shot went high. UO didn't give up on the possession as OSU goalkeeper Colleen Boyd was not able to secure the ball after she was drawn out by Konkel's header and freshman Bri Pugh slipped the ball into an empty net. The goal was Pugh's fourth of the season, tying her with two others for the squad lead.

The defense kept the Ducks in the match and caused the Beavers to not get many opportunities to get shots on goal. Of their total 22 shots, only eight were SOG. Those 22 shots were an UO opponent-high for this season.

While both teams only attempted one shot apiece in the first overtime, in the second overtime, Konkel had a shot that just missed getting past Boyd get blocked by the Beaver defense. Junior Julie Armstrong followed up with another shot right behind it that Boyd had to move at the last second to save her team from defeat. Freshman Ryann Davie got Oregon's last shot, but she was not able to notch the game winner in her first Civil War.

Steele (3-8-3) played all 110 minutes in goal for the Ducks and picked up seven saves during the match.

Junior Mo Fitzgerald and Pugh both ended the match with a team-high three shots, combining to take six of Oregon's 13 shots.

Ducks On Pac-12 Networks