CHAMPAIGN, Ill. -- The University of Oregon women’s basketball team lost 80-62 to Illinois on Wednesday night at Assembly Hall in Champaign. The Illini improved to 6-4 overall with the win, while UO dropped to 0-8 on the year.
Jillian Alleyne registered game-highs with 24 points and 16 rebounds for the Ducks. Alleyne, a freshman from Fontana, Calif., made 11-of-15 from the field in the loss. Jordan Loera scored 11 points for UO, the only other Duck to tally double-figures for points.
The Ducks’ defense limited Illinois to 34.7 percent (25-of-72) on field goal shooting and 38.1 percent (8-of-21) from behind the 3-point arc. However, Oregon made just 32.9 percent of its field goal attempts (25-of-76), while hitting only 6-of-29 on 3-pointers (20.7 percent).
The Illini had a large advantage at the free throw line (22-of-35, 62.9 percent), shooting 26 more free throws than UO (6-of-9, 66.7 percent).
Illinois had five players score in double-figures, led by Karisma Penn who posted a double-double with 17 points and 12 rebounds.
Oregon once again got off to a good start with the Ducks up 5-0 after an inside basket from Alleyne and a 3-pointer from Loera, both baskets assisted by Love. Oregon held a six-point lead, 9-3, at the 17:12 mark in the first half.
But the Illini came out of the first media timeout and took control of the game, heating up from behind the 3-point arc to take a 23-13 advantage with eight minutes in the half.
Illinois, which shot 33.3 percent on field goals (12-of-36) in the first half, took a 36-20 advantage into the halftime locker room. Alleyne had 10 points and 11 rebounds to lead the Ducks over the first 20 minutes. UO was just 9-of-40 from the field and limited to 2-of-16 from behind the 3-point arc.
The teams played the early part of the second half even, with UO cutting the lead to nine points, 50-41, with 11:51 in the game. But Illinois regained momentum of the contest, stretching the lead to 18 points, 62-44, with eight minutes on the clock. The Illini then took a 76-56 advantage with 3:01 in the game, their largest lead of the game.
Oregon (0-8) will return home to Eugene for a game this Sunday against Fresno State. Tip-time is set for 1 p.m. (PT) at Matthew Knight Arena.
- Jillian Alleyne recorded her third double-double of the season with 24 points and 16 rebounds. Alleyne achieved the double-double (10 points and 10 rebounds) with 2:13 remaining in the first half.
- Jordan Loera (11 points) reached double-figures in scoring for first time since UO’s Nov. 23 road game with Hawai’i. It was the third time this season she’s scored 10 or more points.
- Walk-on freshmen Katie Gruys and Chloe Stiles saw their first collegiate action since joining the team recently. Stiles scored eight points on 2-of-5 shooting, 2-of-2 on free throws. Gruys went scoreless going 0-of-5 from the floor.
- Megan Carpenter registered a career-high five blocks in the loss to Illinois. She set her previous career-best (four blocks) two weeks ago against Denver.
- Danielle Love had a career-high six assists. Her previous best assist effort was five set against Portland on Dec. 4, 2011.
BASKETBALL - M
BASKETBALL - W
GOLF - M
GOLF - W
TENNIS - M
TENNIS - W
TRACK & FIELD
Fri, Apr 18
Softball 4:00 PM
vs. California (Pink Game)
Sat, Apr 19
Softball 12:00 PM
Tue, Apr 22
Softball 4:00 PM
vs. Portland State
Fri, Apr 25
Softball 7:00 PM