PORTLAND, Ore. -- The Portland Pilots snapped the University of Oregon women’s basketball team’s two-game winning streak in a 68-49 win on Friday afternoon at UP’s Chiles Center. The Ducks dropped to 2-9 overall with the loss, while the Pilots improved to 5-7 overall.
Ariel Thomas led the Ducks with 12 points on 4-of-9 shooting from the field. Jordan Loera registered a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds; she was the only other Duck to score in double-figures. Jillian Alleyne grabbed 10 boards (five offensive) to match Loera’s game-high in rebounds.
Oregon shot 44.4 percent over the first 20 minutes, but finished the game at 32.1 percent (17-of-53) after being limited to just 5-of-26 on field goals in the second half. Portland also shot for a low percentage, making 33.8 percent from the field (24-of-71).
UP’s Kari Luttinen led all scorers with 22 points to go with five steals. Luttinen made 9-of-19 from the field and 3-of-7 from behind the 3-point arc.
The Ducks opened the game making 7-of-10 field goal attempts over the first seven minutes to take a 17-10 lead. Portland came back with a series of 3-pointers to take a 19-17 advantage with 11 minutes on the clock.
The Pilots extended the lead to six points, 30-24, with just under eight minutes left in the stanza. Oregon staged a small come back and pulled to within three points, 32-29, after Alleyne converted a 3-point play.
Portland would once again go on a run to take a 45-35 lead into the halftime locker room. Luttinen finished with 15 points in the first half to lead UP. The Ducks had six players record five or more points in the first stanza, led by Devyn Galland who scored all eight of her points in the half.
Neither team had scored four minutes into the second half, Thomas hit a 3-pointer with 15:11 in the game to break that scoreless draught. Thomas made another 3-pointer on the next possession to cut the lead to four points, 45-41.
Loera hit back-to-back baskets to make the score 49-46, forcing Portland to call a timeout with 12:26 in the game. The Pilots opened the second stanza just 1-of-15 on field goals (6.7 percent).
The Pilots staged a 9-0 run to take a 58-46 lead at the 7:30 mark in the second half. UP closed the game by out-scoring UO, 10-3, to secure its fourth straight win on the season.
Oregon (2-9) will take a short break for the holidays before returning to action on Monday, Dec. 31 against second-ranked Connecticut. The UO-UConn game is slated to tip-off at 12 p.m. (PT) at Matthew Knight Arena in Eugene.
- The win snapped the Pilots’ a four-game losing streak to Oregon. UO now leads the all-time series 24-5.
- Portland had a 24-3 advantage for points off turnovers. The Ducks were forced into 25 turnovers while UP committed just 10.
- Jordan Loera (10 points and 10 rebounds) registered her first double-double of the season. It marked the third time in the last four games that Loera has scored in double-figures.
- Ariel Thomas (12 points) led the team in scoring for the first time this year since returning to the lineup against Illinois on Dec. 12. She has reached double-figures in four of the five games she played in this season.
- Jillian Alleyne (10 rebounds) reached double-figures in rebounds for the ninth time this season. It was the eighth time she has led the team in that category.
BASKETBALL - M
BASKETBALL - W
GOLF - M
GOLF - W
TENNIS - M
TENNIS - W
TRACK & FIELD
Fri, Apr 18
Softball 4:00 PM
vs. California (Pink Game)
Sat, Apr 19
Softball 12:00 PM
Tue, Apr 22
Softball 4:00 PM
vs. Portland State
Fri, Apr 25
Softball 7:00 PM