The University of Oregon's storied home for softball, Howe Field is widely regarded as one of the most historic and scenic settings for collegiate softball on the West Coast.
Built in 1936, it is located near the heart of the picturesque campus and is named after former University of Oregon professor Hubert C. Howe who served as the first faculty representative for the athletic department.
Converted to a softball facility in 1987, its nearby proximity to other historic UO athletic landmarks is fitting with Hayward Field and McArthur Court hosting the Duck track and field and basketball programs since 1919 and 1927, respectively.
Gorgeous Douglas Fir trees surround the venue, and its convenient location near the corner of 18th Avenue and University Street attracts students, citizens and softball denizens who stroll to contests against many of the nation's top teams that hail from the Pacific-10 Conference.
The venue has evolved with the times and has welcomed renovated dugouts and a new backstop (1996), a new scoreboard (1998), and permanent light standards (2009). Three bleacher sections were improved in 1995 to increase the venue's capacity to 3,000.
The infield and outfield playing surfaces have also been updated with modern maintenance engineering to encourage action in nearly any conditions. Batting cages are available behind the the right center field fence, and pitching warm-up areas are adjacent to each foul line. Locker rooms, a treatment center, equipment room, meeting room and weight room are accessible next door in McArthur Court.
Prior to the arrival of the softball team, the venue first hosted Duck men's baseball games from 1936-1981. It cost approximately $10,000 when built, and that season was christened by the second of UO's 10 Pacific Coast Conference Northern Division titles from 1935-55.
As the new home for women's softball in 1987, field dimensions were reconfigured to meet college specifications, with the right and left field walls moved to 190 feet, and center field at 200 feet.
UO students that present valid campus ID cards receive free admission to all softball events, and numerous ticket specials through the Duck Ticket Office (1-800-WEB-FOOT / 541-346-4461) attract families and groups.
Parking is available next to the venue, with metered restrictions in effect Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., and some 24-hour restricted spots in posted areas nearby.
Fans should look for an announcement on www.GODUCKS.com or call the rain out number, 541-346-6148 , to check if a game is postponed or canceled due to weather.
Named after University of Oregon professor Hubert C. Howe, Howe Field was originally built for UO’s baseball team in 1936. The field was converted in 1987 to accommodate the softball team. In 1995 three bleacher sections were built to increase its capacity to 3,000, a new backstop and dugouts were added in 1996 while a new scoreboard was installed in 1998.