INDIANAPOLIS – The University of Oregon men’s golf team has been named one of 81 squads selected to participate in one of six regional tournaments as part of the 2011 NCAA Division I Men’s Golf Championships.
The 20th-ranked Ducks will play in the Florida regional as the No. 4 seed in a 14-team field that also includes five individuals. The regional, hosted by the SEC champion and top-seeded University of Florida Gators, will be held May 19-21 at the Golden Ocala Golf Club in Ocala.
Oregon’s regional draw also includes last year’s NCAA champion Augusta State, currently ranked No. 6 nationally, and No. 17 Arkansas. The Gators are No. 5 in the latest rankings according to Golfstat.com.
The low five teams and the low individual not on those teams from each regional will advance to the finals, May 31-June 5, at Karsten Creek in Stillwater, Okla. Oklahoma State is the host institution for this year’s championships.
The Ducks made their deepest NCAA run a year ago, placing third behind Augusta State and Oklahoma State at The Honors Course in Chattanooga, Tenn. UO is seeking its fourth consecutive trip to the NCAA championships.
FLORIDA REGION: Golden Ocala Golf Club, Ocala, Fla.; Hosted by Florida
1. Florida (Southeastern Conference)
2. Augusta State
5. N.C. State
6. UCF (Conference USA)
8. Kennesaw State (Atlantic Sun Conference)
9. Notre Dame (Big East Conference)
11. Southeastern Louisiana
12. Jacksonville State (Ohio Valley Conference)
13. Georgia Southern (Southern Conference)
14. Jackson State (Southwestern Athletic Conference)
( ) Parenthesis indicate conference champion
1. Philipp Fendt, Louisiana-Layette
2. Jack Hiluta, South Alabama
3. Jacobo Pastor, Charleston Southern
4. Andrew Noto, Louisiana-Layette
5. Bradley Story, Alabama A&M