• Event: Topy Cup
• Dates: Tuesday through Thursday, September 11-13, 2012
• Location: Tanagura Country Club, Tanagura, Japan
• Par: 72, 7,050-yard
• Format: 54- hole tournament- 18 holes each of the three days
• US Participants (2012 Golfweek Preseason Rankings): Oregon (21), California (24)
• Oregon Ducks Competing: Cassy Isagawa, Cali Hipp, Caroline Inglis, Raphaela Dyer, Monica Petchakan
• Tee Times Begin: Tues. (9/11) 8:00 a.m. (JST) tee time, Wed. (9/12) 8:00 a.m. (JST) tee time, Thurs. (9/13) 7:00am (JST) tee time.
EUGENE, Ore. – The University of Oregon women’s golf team will start off the 2012 fall season by traveling to Tanagura, Japan to play in the Topy Cup. According to the 2012 Golfweek Preseason rankings, the Ducks are tabbed 21st overall.
The Topy Cup is a three-day, 54-hole tournament at the Tanagura Country Club. Play will start on Tuesday September 11th at 8:00am (JST) and continue through Thursday September 13, 2012. The team’s four lowest scores will count at the end of each 18-hole round.
The field consists of Oregon and California, along with four collegiate teams from Japan. On the mens side of the tournament, Baylor, Oregon State, Pacific and San Diego State will compete. The Oregon women have not competed in the Topy Cup before. Last year’s Topy Cup was cancelled due to the tragic earthquake in the region. Prior to that, the past two women champions have been Pac-12 schools, Arizona State claiming the title in 2010 and Arizona winning in 2009.
Many Oregon players look to build off strong summer finishes and start the fall campaign off strong. Sophomore returner Cassy Isagawa won the HSWGA Match Play Championship in mid-July at the Oaho Country Club in Honolulu, Hawaii. She also finished second in the Hawai’i Stroke Play Championship. Sophomore Cali Hipp won the U.S. Women’s Amateur qualifier at the Woodburn Course in mid-July. Freshman Caroline Inglis staked a runner-up finish in the OGA Stroke Play Championship at the Rose City Golf Course. She also placed fourth in the AJGA Junior at Centennial in Medford, Ore. Also in June, sophomore Monica Petchakan finished two strokes behind Inglis for the final U.S. Public Links qualifying spot at the Stone Creek Golf Club in Oregon City. Junior Raphaela Dyer will also compete in the Topy Cup.