Jeff Mullen and Robin Cambier competed Monday in the qualifying men’s singles round of the ITA All-American Tournament in Tulsa, Okla. The Ducks faced highly seeded and nationally ranked players in their first competition of the 2012-13 season.TULSA, Okla.— Oregon Ducks men’s tennis players
Cambier went up against 19th seeded Max Wennakoski from Virginia Commonwealth University and fell 1-6, 6-1 and 6-3. Wennakoski is currently ranked 80th overall nationally.
Jeff Mullen also faced a nationally ranked opponent in 58th ranked Chris Simpson of Louisiana State University. Mullen lost 6-3 and 6-2.
“I think it was very important for us to go out and play against some of the top competition in the nation this early in the year,” said head coach
Nils Schyllander. “We certainly had our chances. Robin was up 3-0 in the third set and did not grab his opportunity to close out a top tier player, but he will certainly learn from that. There is another day tomorrow and I like the way we are hitting the ball this early in the school year.”
Cambier and Mullen return to action today in Tulsa in the qualifying consolation bracket. Doubles competition begins on Thursday and UO looks to continue last year's doubles success.
Ducks Compete in First Day of ITA All-American
Release Date: 10/02/2012
- UO Tennis Earns Seven Players on All-Academic Team
- Pair of Ducks Named to Pac-12 All-Conference Team
- Schyllander Signs Top Junior from Indonesia
- Swaysland Earns ITA Award, Internship with Wilson
- Oregon Tripped Up in Quarterfinals at Pac-12 Championships
- Preseason Camp Preview: Quarterback
- Irvin Opts Not To Sign, Will Return To Ducks For 2016
- Ducks Tally More Academic Awards
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks