STANFORD, Calif. - Junior Daniel Sardu tallied two points for Oregon, but the Ducks failed to score any further in a 4-2 loss to Stanford on Saturday. The No. 39 Ducks won the doubles point and picked up a No. 4 singles victory before falling short to the Cardinal at the Taube Tennis Center.
Senior Robin Cambier and sophomore Kevin Farin opened the match with their second-straight No. 1 doubles victory. The Belgium natives improved their team-best record to 21-5, which ranks third best in UO history.
Sardu and freshman Jayson Amos clinched the opening point with a key win in the third doubles spot. They downed Stanford’s Trey Strobel and Maciek Romanowicz, 8-7 (6), in a tiebreaker to improve to 14-7 at the No. 3 doubles position this spring.
In singles play, Sardu lead the Ducks (15-7, 1-5) with a hard-fought win in the fourth position. The Sopron, Hungary, native defeated Stanford’s Nolan Paige in straight sets, 7-5 and 6-3. Sardu is 15-8 in singles play this season.
Freshman Jayson Amos took a second set against Stanford’s Robert Stineman in the No. 6 match, 6-3. Nearing match point in the third set, the match was left unfinished with Amos leading, 5-2. The Mission Viejo, Calif., native is 20-5 overall.
The Cardinal (12-4, 4-2) won matches in the No. 1, 2, 3 and 5 positions to avenge last season’s loss to the Ducks. Stanford has won three straight matches.
The Ducks will close the season next week in Seattle, traveling to Washington on Saturday, April 19. The match will begin at 1 p.m. (PT) at the Lloyd Nordstrom Tennis Center. Oregon beat UW, 4-2, on Feb. 28 this season - its first victory in the series in 10 years.
No. 43 Stanford (12-4, 4-2) 4, No. 39 Oregon (15-7, 1-5) 2
1. Cambier/Farin (ORE) def. Ho/Stineman (STAN) 8-4
2. Ball/Morrissey (STAN) vs. Swaysland/Maasland (ORE) 7-7, abandoned
3. Sardu/Amos (ORE) def. Romanowicz/Strobel (STAN) 8-7 (6)
Order of finish: 1, 3
1. John Morrissey (STAN) def. #59 Robin Cambier (ORE) 6-3, 6-0
2. Daniel Ho (STAN) def. Kevin Farin (ORE) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
3. Trey Strobel (STAN) def. Daan Maasland (ORE) 7-5, 6-2
4. Daniel Sardu (ORE) def. Nolan Paige (STAN) 7-5, 6-3
5. Anthony Tsodikov (STAN) def. Joey Swaysland (ORE) 6-0, 6-4
6. Jayson Amos (ORE) vs. Robert Stineman (STAN) 4-6, 6-3, 5-2, abandoned
Order of finish: 1, 5, 3, 4, 2