Ducks Break Through With 4-3 Win Over 20th-ranked Huskies
Release Date: 03/11/2011
With the win, the Ducks improve to 7-6 on the season and 1-4 in Pac-10 play. It was the first Duck victory over Washington since March 24, 2008 when the Huskies were ranked No. 35 nationally. The win is also UO’s first against a top-25 school since defeating No. 16 Washington on March 22, 2005.
“It’s great for us,” head coach Paul Reber said. “We knew today was going to be another tough one. The Pac-10 is the toughest league there is. We’re feeling good from this one”.
The deciding singles match was between Trudie du Toit of Oregon and Vanja Radunovic of Washington. After dropping the first set 6-4, du Toit rallied to win an astounding 12 games in a row, taking the second and third sets 6-0, 6-0.
The freshman duo of Rabea Stuckemann and Pascale Neubert broke through for the Ducks helping to contribute to a combined 3 points. They combined to win their first doubles match of the season against Vanja Radunovic and Siana May, 8-2. Rabea Stuckemann improved to 7-6 in duals by defeating Aleksandra Krsljanin (6-3, 6-0) at No. 4, while Pascale Neubert moved to 6-5 in duals with the win over Siana May (6-0, 6-0).
The Ducks won their first doubles point of Pac-10 play taking two of three matches from the Huskies. The deciding match was on center court as top pairing Pavlina Smatova and Patricia Skowronski defeated the Huskies’ Venise Chan and Samantha Smith 8-3. Rabea Stuekemann and Pascale Neubert combined for the first doubles match victory, finishing off Vanja Radunovic and Siana May 8-2.
Oregon moves a perfect 5-0 at home this season
“We play better at home, we’re more comfortable here,” Reber said.
The Ducks return to the road where they will face Boise State on March 21 in Boise, Idaho.
1) Skowronski/Smatova (UO) def. Chan/Smith (UW), 8-3
2) Dy/Krsljanin (UW) def. du Toit/Metzger (UO), 8-4
3) Stuckemann/Neubert (UO) def. Radunovic/May (UW), 8-2
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1*
1) No. 6 Denise Dy (UW) def. No. 100 Pavlina Smatova (UO), 6-1, 6-3
2) No. 27 Venise Chan (UW) def. Patricia Skowronski (UO), 7-5, 6-2
3) Samantha Smith (UW) def. Julia Metzger (UO), 3-6, 6-4, 10-5
4) Rabea Stuckemann (UO) def. Aleksandra Krsljanin (UW), 6-3, 6-0
5) Trudie du Toit (UO) def. Vanja Radunovic (UW), 4-6, 6-0, 6-0
6) Pascale Neubert (UO) def. Siana May (UW), 6-0, 6-0
Order of Finish: 6, 2, 1, 4, 5*, 3
- Ducks Bow Out of Pac-12 Championships
- Oregon Finishes Day One in Ojai
- Ducks Set for Pac-12 Championships in Ojai
- Ducks Drop Regular Season Finale to Loyola Marymount
- Ducks Fall at Long Beach State, 5-2
- Stringer Sharp In Homecoming To Help Ducks Beat Toreros
- Beck Steps Down as Lacrosse Coach
- The Nominees Are: Jackson Award
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks