LOS ANGELES, Cailf. - The University of Oregon women's tennis team was defeated by the No. 4 ranked University of Southern California Trojans 7-0 on Friday (Mar. 30) at Marks Stadium in Los Angeles, Calif.
The Ducks (9-6, 0-4 Pac-12) drop to 1-3 on their current road trip with one remaining dual against UCLA tomorrow (Mar. 31) before returning home to face Utah and Colorado.
"Credit to USC, they are a good team and showed why they are #4 in the country," said women's head coach Paul Reber. "I was proud of the way we competed and conducted ourselves throughout the match."
In doubles, Oregon's No. 1 doubles team highlighted the effort for the Ducks. Junior Patricia Skowronski and freshman Sofia Hager teamed to defeat the No. 2 ranked doubles team in the nation in USC's Sabrina Santamaria and Kaitlyn Christian, 8-7 (7-4). Santamaria and Christian came into the dual with a 22-8 record overall and had been riding a three-match winning streak before the loss to Skowronski and Hager.
"A big congratulation to Patze and Sofia for upsetting the second best doubles team in the nation," remarked coach Reber. "They have been having a good year together and it was nice to see them get a marquee win at this point in the season."
USC (15-2, 4-0) went on to win the doubles point as they improved to a whopping 12-0 when they take the first point in the dual. In singles, the Trojans were led by their four ranked players en route to six straight set victories. No. 15 Zoe Scandalis improved to 10-4 this spring all at No. 1 singles by defeating junior Julia Metzger, 6-2, 6-3. Elsewhere, No. 76 Christian won her team leading 15th singles match taking down sophomore Pascale Neubert, 6-1, 6-1.
Oregon will travel across town to face the No. 1 ranked Bruins of UCLA on Saturday (Mar. 31). The Bruins have won 17-straight duals to open the year after defeating the University of Washington 5-2 on Friday (Mar. 30). The dual is scheduled to begin at noon from the Los Angeles Tennis Center.
"We look forward to taking on #1 and undefeated UCLA tomorrow afternoon, you want to play in the PAC-12 for weekends like this."
Follow the Ducks all year long at GoDucks.com for the latest news, scores, stats and rankings.
#4 USC 7, Oregon 0
March 30, 2012 -- Marks Stadium
(1) Hager/Skowronski (ORE) def. #2 Christian/Santamaria (USC) -- 8-7 (4)
(2) #52 Pulido/Scandalis (USC) def. duToit/Metzger (ORE) -- 8-2
(3) Lao/Ramos (USC) def. Neubert/Stueckemann (ORE) -- 8-3
USC wins doubles point.
Order of finish: 3, 2, 1
(1) #15 Zoe Scandalis (USC) def. Julia Metzger (ORE) -- 6-2, 6-3
(2) #22 Danielle Lao (USC) def. Patricia Skowronski (ORE) -- 7-6 (1), 6-2
(3) #36 Sabrina Santamaria (USC) def. Sofia Hager (ORE) -- 6-3, 6-1*
(4) #76 Kaitlyn Christian (USC) def. Pascale Neubert (ORE) -- 6-1, 6-1
(5) Gabriella DeSimone (USC) def. Rabea Stueckemann (ORE) -- 6-1, 6-2
(6) Alison Ramos (USC) def. Lana Buttner (ORE) -- 6-3, 6-3
Order of finish: 4, 5, 3*, 1, 6, 2