SEATTLE, Wash. - The No. 66 ranked University of Oregon women's tennis team fell to the No. 55 ranked University of Washington, 4-3, on Sunday (Apr. 22) in each team's Pac-12 finale. The dual, held at Bill Quillian Stadium on the campus of the University of Washington, saw the Huskies climb back from a 1-0 deficit to take four consecutive singles matches to clinch the overall victory.
The doubles point was hotly contested as the Ducks and Huskies scrapped for every game. The scoring started with the Oregon veteran pairing of junior Julia Metzger and senior Trudie du Toit defeating Washington's Julija Lukac and Natali Coronel, 8-6. The victory was followed by a devastating loss for the Ducks at No. 1 doubles where the No. 54 ranked combination of junior Patricia Skowronski and freshman Sofia Hager fell to the Huskies' Andjela Nemcevic and Riko Shimizu, 9-7. In the end, the opening point of the dual was won by the Ducks as they looked to their No. 3 pairing of sophomores Rabea Stueckemann and Pascale Neubert. Neubert and Stueckemann defeated Washington's Samantha Smith and Adrijana Pavlovic in their own grueling match ending, 8-6, in favor of Oregon.
In singles, the Ducks were unable to carry the momentum from the doubles eventually dropping four-matches in a row, clinching the match for Washington. The Ducks received positive performances from Skowronski and Neubert who each were victorious in their respective matches. Skowronski, a native of Braunschweig, Germany, defeated Nemcevic, 6-7 (0), 7-6 (5), (10-7) in what was the most competitive match of the day. Neubert, a native of Meerbusch, Germany, was victorious in her match at No. 5 singles after Washington's Coronel retired while trailing, 6-3, 3-4.
The Ducks will return to Eugene before taking off for Ojai, Calif. and the start of the Pac-12 Championship tournament. Matchups will be posted to GoDucks.com as they become available.
Washington Women's Tennis
Bill Quillian Stadium - Seattle, Wash.
April 22, 2012
No. 55 Washington 4, No. 66 Oregon 3
1) Nemcevic/Shimizu (UW) def. Skowronski/Hager (UO), 9-7
2) Metzger/du Toit (UO) def. Lukac/Coronel (UW), 8-6
3) Neubert/Stueckelmann (UO) def. Smith/Pavlovic (UW), 8-6
Order of finish: 2, 1, 3
1) (22) Denise Dy (UW) def. Julia Metzger (UO), 6-2, 6-4
2) Patricia Skowronski (UO) def. Andjela Nemcevic (UW), 6-7 (0), 7-6 (5), (10-7)
3) Samantha Smith (UW) def. Trudie du Toit (UO), 6-1, 6-1
4) Julija Lukac (UW) def. Sofia Hager (UO), 6-2, 6-4
5) Pascale Neubert (UO) def. Natali Coronel (UW), 6-3, 3-4, ret.
6) Riko Shimizu (UW) def. Rabea Stueckemann (UO), 6-0, 6-2
Order of finish: 3, 6, 1, 4, 5, 2