EUGENE, Ore. -- The Oregon women’s tennis team played its final home match of the season on a beautiful Sunday afternoon against California. After honoring their three seniors before the match, the Ducks fell short to the sixth-ranked Bears, 4-0, on the outdoor courts of the Student Tennis Center.
When action began, California quickly assumed control en route to its 10th straight victory. The Bears won matches No. 2 and 3 to claim the doubles point. Sofia Hager and Buttner won three straight games to pull within 5-4 in the third position before falling, 8-4. Marlou Kluiving and Lina Åkesson lost, 8-1, in the No. 2 match. Nicole Long and Jasmine Minor’s top doubles match was left abandoned.
The Bears won all six opening sets in singles and notched wins in the last three singles matches to clinch a 4-0 victory.
Long, Minor and Hager each fought hard in the top three singles spots before their matches were left unfinished when California clinched. Against 30th-ranked Denise Starr in the top singles match, Long won four games in her first set. Long and Hager each held a 2-1 advantage in the second set when their match was abandoned.
California’s lineup touted two ranked doubles teams and six ranked singles players.
The Ducks will close the regular season on the road next week with a pair of matches. UO will meet Idaho on Friday, April 18, at 1 p.m. (PT). The Ducks will then take on Washington State on Saturday, April 19, at 11 a.m. (PT).
No. 6 California (16-4, 9-0) 4, Oregon (7-13, 1-8) 0
1. Long/Minor (ORE) vs. #71 Schutting/Chi (Cal) 2-6, abandoned
2. #37 Manasse/Starr (Cal) def. Kluiving/Lina Åkesson 1-8
3. Fabikova/Chui (Cal) def. Hager/Buttner (ORE) 4-8
Order of finish: 2, 3
1. Nicole Long (ORE) vs. #30 Denise Starr (Cal) 4-6, 2-1, abandoned
2. Jasmine Minor (ORE) vs. #21 Zsofi Susanyi (Cal) 3-6, 0-1, abandoned
3. Sofia Hager (ORE) vs. #24 Anett Schutting (Cal) 3-6, 2-1, abandoned
4. #35 Lynn Chi (Cal) def. Marlou Kluiving (ORE) 2-6, 0-6
5. #94 Klara Fabikova (Cal) def. Lana Buttner (ORE) 2-6, 0-6
6. #100 Maegan Manasse (Cal) vs. A. Hueffner (ORE) 1-6, 1-6
Order of finish: 5, 4, 6