Talent Show Headlines Busy Month for O Heroes
Release Date: 05/04/2011
Tickets to SHOW TIME are $15 for the general public and $5 for students, and are available for purchase at the EMU ticket office, through TicketsWest , and/or at the box office at McDonald Theater on May 8. All proceeds will be given back to the community in future O Heroes events.
Every team in the athletic department will be represented at SHOW TIME, which will be hosted by current UO student-athletes and feature special guest appearances by former UO standouts. Before the show begins, there will be a silent auction and the student-athletes will be on hand to sign memorabilia.
Earlier in the week, O Heroes will be making stops at Churchill and South Eugene High Schools, in addition to hosting Chavez Elementary and the Bethel School District at UO’s Twilight Track and Field Meet. Also on O Heroes' schedule is a day of work with Habitat for Humanity, UO's University Day campus clean-up and the annual Quackin' Action community service event.
"The UO student-athletes have embraced the O Heroes leadership role in giving back and supporting our community,” said Oregon Director of Athletics Rob Mullens . “We are so proud to see the positive impact our student-athletes are making in the community."
While at Churchill and South Eugene on Friday, May 6, O Heroes will be sharing the message of AVID which stands for Advancement Via Individual Determination. AVID is a college-readiness system designed to increase the number of students who enroll in four-year colleges. Although AVID serves all students, it focuses on the least served students in the academic middle.
Later on Friday, students from Chavez Elementary and the Bethel School District will join O Heroes at the UO Twilight Track and Field Meet. After the conclusion of the meet, the youth will have a chance to interact with members of the Ducks’ track and field team.
On Saturday, May 7, the Student-Athlete Advisory Committees from both Oregon and Oregon State will team-up with Habitat for Humanity for an event in Harrisburg, Ore. They will be joined by members of O Heroes to assist in the construction of a neighborhood playground.
University Day on UO’s campus is scheduled for Thursday, May 12, a day that O Heroes and the President’s Office will work together for the beautification of campus through gardening and other property clean-up.
O Heroes will also host its annual Quackin’ Action community service event on Sunday, May 22, at the Moshofsky Center. Over 100 UO student-athletes will promote values on “How to Be a Good Duck” with approximately 250 elementary school children from Springfield and another 50 from local Boys and Girls Club chapters.
At the Quackin’ Action event, the student-athletes will host five work stations which focus on the following: sportsmanship, nutrition, fitness, safety and teamwork. In addition, local volunteer firefighters and police officers will conduct a fire and safety presentation for students and their parents.
O Heroes is a non-profit organization that allows student-athletes to positively impact the community by providing standout experiences for Duck fans and helping local non-profit service organizations to see out their missions. O Heroes partners with local organizations such as the Special Olympics, Committed Partners for Youth, and the Emerald Valley Boys and Girls Club.
For more specific information regarding O Heroes and the upcoming community service events, please contact Matt Geschke via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at (484) 343-1065.
MAY SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Friday, May 6
- O Heroes will promote AVID program during visits at Churchill and South Eugene High Schools.
- O Heroes will host Chavez Elementary and Bethel School District at UO’s Twilight Track and Field meet.
Saturday, May 7
- O Heroes will join forces with the SAAC from both Oregon and Oregon State for a Habitat for Humanity build in Harrisburg, Ore.
Sunday, May 8
- O Heroes will present SHOW TIME student-athlete talent show from 4:30 – 7 p.m. at McDonald Theater.
Thursday, May 12
- University Day on Campus. O Heroes will work with UO’s President’s office to help in the beautification of campus.
Sunday, May 22
- O Heroes will hold Quackin’ Action community service event, with over 300 kids at Moshofsky Center for activities.
- Oregon Athletics Black Friday through Cyber Monday Deals
- Oregon's Official Browser Theme - Now Available!
- UO Student-Athlete Graduation Success Rate Up 1 Percent
- Photo Album: Gameday with athletics director Rob Mullens
- Ducks Most Economically Efficient Among Power 5 Schools
- Notes: Women's Hoops Hosts Santa Clara on Thursday
- Bettendorf Named All-American
- Feature: Berthuel Living Her Dream at Oregon
Ducks On Pac-12 Networks