About Howe Field
Howe Field at a Glance
- 1601 University St. Eugene, OR
- Seating Capacity: 1,400
- Opened: 1936
- Named in Honor of: Herbert C. Howe
Trivia: Howe Field was the original home of the Ducks' baseball team from 1936-1981
The University of Oregon's storied home for softball, Howe Field is widely regarded as one of the most historic and scenic settings for collegiate softball on the West Coast.
Built in 1936, it is located near the heart of Oregon's picturesque campus and is named after former University of Oregon professor Herbert C. Howe who served as the first faculty representative for the athletic department.
Converted to a softball facility in 1987, its nearby proximity to other historic UO athletic landmarks is fitting with Hayward Field and McArthur Court hosting the Duck track and field and basketball programs since 1919 and 1927, respectively.
Gorgeous Douglas Fir trees surround the venue, and its convenient location near the corner of 18th Avenue and University Street attracts students, citizens and softball denizens who stroll to contests against many of the nation's top teams that hail from the Pacific-12 Conference.
The venue has evolved with the times and has welcomed renovated dugouts and a new backstop (1996), a new scoreboard (1998), and permanent light standards (2009). Three bleacher sections were improved in 1995 to increase the venue's capacity to 1,400.
The infield and outfield playing surfaces have also been updated with modern maintenance engineering to encourage action in nearly any conditions. Batting cages are available behind the the right center field fence, and pitching warm-up areas are adjacent to each foul line. Locker rooms, a treatment center, equipment room, meeting room and weight room are accessible next door in McArthur Court.
Prior to the arrival of the softball team, the venue first hosted Duck men's baseball games from 1936-1981. It cost approximately $10,000 when built, and that season was christened by the second of UO's 10 Pacific Coast Conference Northern Division titles from 1935-55.
As the new home for women's softball in 1987, field dimensions were reconfigured to meet college specifications, with the right and left field walls moved to 190 feet, and center field at 200 feet.
UO students that present valid campus ID cards receive free admission to all softball events, and numerous ticket specials through the Duck Ticket Office (1-800-WEB-FOOT/541-346-4461) attract families and groups.
Directions to Howe Field
From I-5 North
- Take exit 194B to merge onto I-105 W/OR-126 W toward Eugene
- Take exit 2 for Coburg Rd toward Downtown
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for University of Oregon and merge onto Coburg Rd
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for OR-99 S/University of Oregon/8th Ave
- Keep left at the fork, follow signs for OR-126 BUS and merge onto OR-126 BUS E/OR-99 S/Coburg Rd Continue to follow OR-126 BUS E/OR-99 S
- Turn right onto Agate St
- Turn right onto E 18th Ave
- Turn right onto University St Destination will be on the right
From I-5 South
- Take the exit toward E 30th Ave
- Turn left onto E 30th Ave
- Turn right onto Hilyard St
- Turn right onto E 18th Ave
- Turn left onto University St Destination will be on the right
Parking is available next to the venue, with metered restrictions in effect Monday-Saturday, 8 a.m. - 6 p.m., and some 24-hour restricted spots in posted areas nearby.